The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages has changed the way it provides essential services to the public. 

News story
The Public Counter and Marriage Registry is back open following a number of weeks closed due to the pandemic.
BDM Update COVID-19

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages public counter and the Marriage Registry doors are back open after a number of weeks closed to the public due to COVID-19.

Essential registry services continued to be provided to the public by email, telephone and mail during the pandemic.

With the doors open again, strict cleaning procedures and physical distancing measures will be maintained in accordance with advice from the WA Health Department.

New weddings can now be booked from 25 May 2020 with the Registry marriage rooms accommodating up to 35 guests, in addition to the couple, witnesses and celebrant.

Couples wishing to be married at the Registry have the option of submitting their Notice of Intended Marriage by email to, by post or in person.

When lodging the Notice by post or email, ensure signatures are witnessed by a lawyer, police officer, doctor, Justice of the Peace or an Australian Consular Official (for overseas applicants).

Bookings for marriages can be made by calling the Marriage Services Team on 1300 305 021.

For all other Registry services, customers are still being encouraged to use the alternative submission channels:

Birth registrations and Marriage registrations can be submitted to our PO Box

Applications to register a Change of Name can be submitted to the PO Box or by emailing to

Applications for certificates of previously registered Births, Deaths, Marriages or Changes of Name can be lodged by sending the application form to the PO Box or by emailing it to

Customers are reminded to complete the following checklist before submitting a request:

  • Complete and sign the application form.
  • Provide copies of the relevant Proof of Identity documents. Certification of documents is no longer required.
  • Attach any other supporting documentation.
  • Complete payment details section.

For people who would prefer not to provide credit card details, applications can be submitted with a cheque or money order via the post to the PO Box.

Once the application has been approved, certificates will be posted to the address supplied.

Find the latest information on the WA Gov website.

Page reviewed 9 July 2020
Was this information helpful?