The planning and delivery of major projects that are considered to be of significant importance to the State is the responsibility of the Department of Finance's Strategic Projects business.
Projects are assigned because of cost, uniqueness, complexity and risk, as directed by the Expenditure Review Committee.
Working in accordance with the Western Australian Strategic Asset Management Framework, the Department collaborates with client agencies and focuses on robust project planning and on-target project execution, to ensure successful project outcomes.
In the development of project plans and the management of the projects, key considerations include quality, social and industry impact, value for money, timeliness, and sustainability.
Strategic projects approach
The focus for strategic projects is on robust project planning and on-target project execution.
Project planning for nonresidential projects includes working with agencies undertaking strategic asset planning and developing business cases for project proposals, and:
- in collaboration with the agency, developing the plan to evaluate the project proposal and produce a business case
- providing guidance to the agency as it addresses the performance, social impact and recurrent cost components of the business case
- developing the financial and economic components of the business case
- preparing the final business justification to summarise the findings of the evaluation (for assessment by Government) and co-signing the business case with the agency
Strategic Projects' priorities are:
- quality and scope - achieving fitness-for-purpose in accordance with user requirements
- economy - minimising initial and whole-of-life costs
- timeliness - meeting schedule commitments and commencing operation at the right time
- sustainability - making decisions for the future, considering the environment, the community, government and industry
- reliability - saying what we will do and doing what we've said
- respect - displaying professionalism; earning the respect of the community, stakeholders, contractors and government
Strategic Projects works in accordance with the Western Australian Strategic Asset Management Framework.