What do we want to achieve?
By 2023-24, the number of employed persons in Regional WA will increase by at least 30,000 as measured by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
- Some regional locations have not shared in long-term benefits of strong growth over the past decade, experiencing weaker jobs growth.
- We will deliver new infrastructure and support private sector investment to drive employment growth across the regions.
- More regional jobs in a diversified economy means economic growth is distributed more fairly across the community.
Interpreting the results
The graph shows total employment in regional WA as at 1 July 2017 as measured by the ABS. These statistics measure employed persons by their self-reported place of usual residence. This means jobs are only captured in this count if the employee lives in regional WA.
This section provides a snapshot of some of the activities already underway to achieve this target.
- Regional Economic Development grants to support community-led projects that drive economic growth and job creation
- Regional New Industries Fund — dedicated funds from the New Industries Fund to support and accelerate new and emerging businesses that create jobs in the regions through innovation
- Focus on creating jobs and driving productivity in different industries to support economic diversity, including the Value Add Agribusiness Investment Attraction Fund
- Tourism funding to showcase regional destinations, including Road Trips campaign
- Collie Futures Fund to drive economic diversity in the region
- Exploration Incentive Scheme to encourage exploration in WA for the long term sustainability of the State’s resources sector
- Local Content Advisers who seek to maximise local supplier, contractor and job opportunities in the regions for State Government funded projects
- Plan for Jobs
- Jobs for the Regions
- Training for the Future
- Investment in Tourism
- Plan for Albany
- Plan for Bunbury
- Plan for Collie-Preston
- Plan for Kimberley
- Plan for Peel
- Plan for Pilbara
- Plan for Goldfields
- Plan for Geraldton