Last updated: 30 May 2020 at 7.05am
What is G2G PASS?
G2G PASS is an online, mobile application that allows you to apply for approval to travel into and within Western Australia for your approved purpose. If you are granted an approval to travel, you will receive an email confirming your approval to travel and access to your unique QR code.
To help make your journey easier, you should carry a physical copy of your G2G PASS or download the G2G PASS mobile application where a digital copy of the pass is stored.
WA Police may request to scan your unique QR code when you arrive in WA or if you are stopped at a biosecurity checkpoint.
Why do I need a G2G PASS?
WA’s border is closed. You cannot enter WA, or Commonwealth Biosecurity zones and remote Aboriginal communities unless you are an exempt and you are approved to enter. If you are not an exempt traveller, you may commit an offence and be directed to leave WA immediately at your own expense.
If you want to travel to WA or a Commonwealth Biosecurity zone, you must get approval. The G2G PASS is an online, mobile application that allows you to apply for approval to travel WA for your approved purpose.
To find out if you meet the exemption criteria, please go to WA.gov.au and read the information on the travel restrictions in place.
From 11:59pm on Thursday 28 May 2020, regional travel restrictions have changed. You are free to travel within Western Australia, however, you are not permitted to enter the Commonwealth Biosecurity Areas and remote Aboriginal communities unless you fall within one of these exemptions. To find out if you meet the exemption criteria please read the information on the travel restrictions in place.
The new regional boundaries will allow travel between the South West, Great Southern, Wheatbelt, Perth, Peel, Mid West-Gascoyne, Pilbara and Goldfields-Esperance regions.
Commonwealth Biosecurity Areas will remain in place within the Kimberley region, parts of the East Pilbara region, the Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku and 274 remote Aboriginal communities.
How do I know if I am eligible for a G2G PASS?
There are Directions in place that restrict the ability to travel into WA. In addition, the Commonwealth Government has issued a Determination that restricts movement of people in an area in WA known as the Biosecurity Area.
It is highly recommended that you visit WA.gov.au prior to travel and read the information on the travel restrictions in place to determine if you meet the criteria for an exempt traveller.
I am travelling with my partner and children. Can I just fill out one G2G PASS application and put all our names on it?
No. All adults are required to submit their own individual application with their own individual email address.
Children under the age of 18 are not required to have a G2G PASS but you can add them to your application to assist WA Police when you arrive in Western Australia.
Please note: The terms and conditions that will apply to the approval for exemption will include the requirement for the parents to ensure all children abide by any terms and conditions. Any child over the age of 10 may be subject to an individual Direction for self-quarantine from WA Police if they are entering the state.
Couples and family members traveling together are also advised to add details of accompanying travellers into the free text box of each application.
How do I apply for a G2G PASS?
Anyone seeking a travel exemption should go to WA.gov.au for details about the travel restrictions.
- Read the information on WA’s travel restrictions to determine if you meet the criteria for an exempt traveller
- Click on the link to G2G PASS
- If you have selected individual/small business, you will be asked to read a declaration and tick the box if you consent to the collection and use of the information you enter.
- Select your type of travel
- Travel into WA – Interstate
- Travel within WA – Kimberley / Biosecurity
- Enter your personal details – including either your passport number, driver’s licence or Medicare number.
- If you are traveling with children, you can click on (+) at the bottom of page to add the details of each accompanying child. Children under the age of 18 will only need their own individual G2G PASS if they are traveling unaccompanied.
- Select your travel exemption category – you MUST read the Direction that is relevant to your travel before making your selection please take your time to choose the correct category. You are also required to provide detailed information to verify why you fit into this category – it is worthwhile attaching any supporting documentation so WA Police can make a well-informed decision. Please note: You will not be able to attach documents or amend your application after it has been submitted.
- Depending on which category you select, you may be asked to answer a number of questions relating to your travel and to provide further details in a free text box. Please give as many details here as possible, including the name(s) and/or G2G reference numbers of any accompanying travellers.
- If you are travelling into Western Australia you will also be asked to make a declaration in relation to COVID-19 symptoms. You should be aware that the provision of false or misleading information may constitute an offence punishable by a fine or imprisonment. You should read the declaration carefully and if you are able to make the declaration, tick the checkbox.
- You will then need to make a declaration regarding the application and the information you have provided. You should be aware that the provision of false or misleading information may constitute an offence punishable by a fine or imprisonment. You should read the declaration carefully and if you are able to make the declaration, tick the checkbox. The following message will appear on your screen, ‘Application ready to submit’. You need to enter a password to create your G2G account. Then press ‘submit application’.
- You will receive an email requesting you to verify your email address. If you have not received an email within 24 hours please check your junk mail or check that you have submitted your application correctly.
- In general, it will take 3 to 4 business days for your application to be finalised. You will then receive an email advising you of the outcome.
- If your application to travel has been approved, you will receive an email confirmation of authorised travel. You can download this, ready to show authorities at regional and border checkpoints. Whenever you travel it will make it easier if you carry either a printed copy of your G2G PASS or the G2G PASS mobile app showing your digital pass and/or QR code. You should also carry supporting documents with you.
How long does a G2G PASS application process take?
Staff are working as fast as they can however processing times can vary. Please allow a minimum of 3 to 4 business days and complete your application as soon as possible.
I applied for a G2G PASS and haven’t had a response. It’s been two weeks now.
Staff are processing applications within 3 to 4 business days. If you have not had a response after 4 business days, please check your junk mail. You are also advised to read all the individual steps involved in the application process to make sure your application was submitted successfully.
I want to check on how my application is progressing. How do I do this?
If you have created an account with G2G PASS, you can access your application by logging into your personal dashboard. You can view your account details or view the status of your application.
I submitted my application for a G2G PASS but have more information I’d like to add. Can I amend my current application?
Once your application has been submitted, you can make changes to your application.
By logging into your personal dashboard, you can change:
- your date of birth
- next of kin
- add accompanying travellers / children
- upload supporting documents
- change your flight details
However, if you need to make changes to your application including:
- exemption category
- reason for travel
- quarantine address
You will need to delete your existing application and make a new application with correct details.
My child is traveling unaccompanied. Does he/she need to apply for a travel exemption?
Yes. All unaccompanied children require an application because they may be subject to a Direction for self-quarantine from WA Police if they are entering the state.
My application was rejected. What do I do now?
The most common reason applications are rejected is because not enough information has been provided. We urge all applicants to provide as much information as possible to assist authorities. For example, if you are a worker with a known, frequent shift rotation, please state this. Or if you need to travel for medical treatment/compassionate reasons, please take your time to fill out all the required fields. You may also upload supporting documentation.
If you are not granted an exemption, you may apply again. You are strongly encouraged to provide further information with your new application to support your case for travel. Please refer to the travel exemptions advice. Please note: You are not able to use the same email address for more than one application. However, you can log into you’re your Dashboard, delete your original application and re-apply using the same email address.
Can I appeal the decision made on my application for a G2G PASS?
If you are not granted an exemption, you may apply again. You are strongly encouraged to provide further information with your new application to support your case for travel. Please refer to the travel exemptions advice available at WA.gov.au.
Appealing your original application is not currently possible during this unprecedented situation.
How long does a G2G PASS last?
The G2G PASS, if approved, will last for the duration of your stated travel.
When applying please be specific about the length and duration of your duties and nominate an end date. For example, if you are a worker with a known, frequent shift rotation, please state this and make WA Police aware that you will be able to carry supporting evidence of this (roster, shift or employee letter) with you when you travel.
Another example would be if you need to purchase important equipment vital to your business and this equipment is located 200km away. In this case, please make it clear when applying why this equipment is vital to your business and why it cannot be bought elsewhere. It’s likely you would be granted a one-day permit to get there and back.
In the case that you need to travel more than once, you just log into you Dashboard, delete the existing application (that has expired and can’t be used) and reapply with a new end date. Alternatively, you can tick the ‘no-expiry date’ box if you are a frequent exempt traveller, such as an East-West truck driver.
The G2G PASS looks different. Has it been changed?
We are constantly trying to make improvements to enhance the customer experience. After listening to your feedback, we’ve made the following changes:
- Applicants are able to upload supporting documents to their applications
- Applicants are able to amend their applications after submitting them and in some instances, after their application has been processed – if the changes are minor (see above)
- Applicants are able to add family members and accompanying travellers to their applications.
- Travellers are able to delete their applications and make new applications if necessary
How much does it cost?
The G2G PASS is free. You will not be charged to use the app, to apply for a permit or for a longer duration of exemption.
In the unlikely event that a website or an email suggests you pay a fee for a permit, please report this fraudulent activity to WA Police on 131 444.
Can I travel without a G2G PASS?
If you are travelling into WA or to the Kimberley region, all parties must have an approval to travel prior to travel and follow any specific quarantine directions ahead of travel. Use G2G PASS to receive this exemption prior to travel and the QR code as evidence of the exemption.
For those who are travelling across boundaries frequently or for work, it is recommended that you use the G2G PASS to streamline the process at the check points.
Victoria’s borders are open. Is there anything preventing me from going there on a holiday?
The Directions do not prevent you from leaving Western Australia, they only control when a person may enter WA. However, it is important to note that the current travel restrictions are designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by limiting non-essential travel. You will be required to apply for a travel exemption to re-enter WA and if approved you may be directed to self-quarantine for 14 days.
I didn’t apply for a G2G PASS and instead completed a WA Entry Request form. I haven’t heard anything back. I am meant to travel today. What should I do?
You should receive confirmation of travel approval prior to your travel date. If this has not been received, you should contact 13 COVID and let them know your travel is imminent.
I didn’t apply for a G2G PASS and instead filled out a WA Entry form. I haven’t received a response. I’m due to travel next week but I don’t want to book a flight if I’m not approved to travel.
Once you know of your travel date, you should email WAEntryRequestsmail@police.wa.gov.au and provide the date. This will ensure you receive confirmation of travel approval prior to your travel date.
What if I want to travel through both a regional boundary and a biosecurity zone. Do I need to put in two separate applications?
No. When you are filling out your application, make sure you select every region, biosecurity zone and state border you are seeking an exemption to travel between. As there are different exemptions and requirements to enter the biosecurity zone you must read the Biosecurity Determination and carefully consider if you fall within any of the exemptions.
I live in Melbourne. My father lives in Perth and is unwell but not life-threatening. I’d like to travel to WA on compassionate grounds. Can I?
The current travel restrictions are designed to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by limiting non-essential travel. If you would like to apply for approval to travel on compassionate grounds, there are conditions on which this might be approved. Please give as much detail as possible in your application.
I am a truck driver who crosses state borders regularly. Do I need to apply for separate G2G PASSES every time?
No. If the reason you are applying to travel is consistent with the reasons stated on your G2G PASS application, you only need to submit one application, so long as the regions and purpose of travel does not change. Please ensure you tick the box for ‘no expiry date’ on your application.
What happens with the information from my G2G PASS application?
The use of this app requires the provision of personal information about you.
By proceeding, you are consenting to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for the purposes of assessing your request to undertake travel, including an assessment of whether that travel is permitted pursuant to any travel restrictions imposed in relation to the State of Western Australia by WA Police. The travel restrictions that are in effect in Western Australia include restrictions imposed under the Emergency Management Act 2005 (WA) and the Biosecurity Act 2015 (Cth). Information collected through this process may be disclosed to, and used by, a person (including persons outside WA Police) for the purposes of administering any determination under the Biosecurity Act 2015 (Cth). The information may also be collected, used and disclosed for the purpose of assisting the State Emergency Coordinator and the Chief Health Officer in the exercise of their powers, and performance of their functions, under the Emergency Management Act 2005 (WA) and the Public Health Act 2016 (WA) respectively in relation to the novel coronavirus COVID-19.
Your information will also be collected, used and disclosed by our service providers who are assisting with the electronic processing and management of the temporary travel permit system. These include GenVis Pty Ltd (and their technology service providers, including Amazon, Mailchimp and others) and other service providers.
For details of the WA Police Privacy Statement.
If you do not wish to use the app on these terms and conditions, or you do not understand these terms and conditions, you can speak to WA Police directly regarding your proposed travel.
Will the G2G app track my travel?
No. The G2G PASS app does not have location tracking functionality and therefore cannot track your movements in real-time.
What if I don’t have phone reception when I get to the checkpoint?
It is recommended that you download and print your PASS that is emailed to you and carry this with you along with your driver’s license (proof of identity) and supporting documentation (e.g. letter from employer, medical certificate) in case you do not have access to email when you reach the checkpoint.
What if I don’t have an email address?
You must have an email account to apply for a G2G PASS. Your email will be used as part of the verification process. If you do not have an email account, you cannot register or apply for a G2G PASS.
Will there be road blocks?
Yes. Check points and mobile police patrols will be in place. Any time you are stopped you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to travel.
Will I be met at the airport?
Yes. You will be met on arrival and may be given a Direction from authorities. The G2G PASS will advise you prior to travel if this Direction is likely.
What penalties will apply if I break the travel restrictions?
WA Police have the power to enforce these restrictions and fines of up to $50,000 can be issued.
I am traveling to WA from interstate. What should I expect when I arrive in WA?
If you arrive in WA and are not an exempt traveller you are unable to enter WA and will be asked to leave. If you are unable to leave you will be given a quarantine direction which will require you to be in quarantine for 14 days. It is therefore important that you make application for approval to travel before you start your journey. After you’ve been granted approval to enter WA as an exempt traveller, you will receive an email about any terms and conditions that will apply when you arrive.
When you arrive in Western Australia, you will be met by WA Police who will give you more information about what you need to do.