Following the successful missions led by the Deputy Premier, the Hon Roger Cook MLA, to Israel and BIO2019 to explore opportunities for health and medical innovation in Western Australia, we are developing a Health and Medical Life Sciences Industry Growth Plan for WA.
Developed in collaboration with the WA Department of Health and led by the Deputy Premier, with support from the Minister for Innovation and ICT; Science, the plan aims to:
- build upon our competitive advantages to position the health and medical life sciences sector as a world-class, sustainable, value-adding industry that diversifies the WA economy and enables positive change across the WA health system through innovation
- enable WA to capitalise on the growing needs of the global health and medical life sciences market, and support the creation of jobs and international trade and investment opportunities.
The plan will provide a clear set of actions to stimulate and strengthen WA’s health and medical life sciences industry and innovation sectors over the next 5 years. It is scheduled to be released during the 2020/2021 financial year.
A steering committee provides strategic direction and advice on the development of the plan. This is chaired by:
- Hon. Roger Cook MLA - Deputy Premier and Minister for Health
- Professor Peter Klinken AC – Chief Scientist of WA
- Mr Richard Sellers – Acting Director General of JTSI
- Dr D.J. Russell-Weisz – Director General of the Department of Health WA
- Ms Sue MacLeman – Chair of MTPConnect
- Ms Michelle Burke – Chair, AusBiotech.
Industry reference groupShow more
Industry reference group members:
- Mr Abdul Ekram (Senior Trade Advisor and Acting Manager of International Health, Austrade) providing expertise in international trade and investment for the health sector.
- Ms Angela Doyle (Western Australia State Director, Advanced Manufacturing Growth Centre) providing expertise in advanced manufacturing.
- Mr Colin La Galia (Chief Executive Officer, Epichem) providing expertise in international markets and pharmaceuticals.
- Dr Debra Cousins (Executive Director, Science and Innovation, Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation) providing expertise in government policy, innovation and the life sciences sectors.
- Mr Gary Cox (Chairman and Principal, Wrays) providing expertise in intellectual property development for the life sciences sector.
- Mr Justin Stillitano (Commercial Leader, Pfizer) providing expertise in pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and business development.
- Dr Kath Giles (Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, OncoRes Medical) providing expertise in commercialisation and life science sector investment.
- Ms Liddy McCall (Co-Founder & Investment Director, Yuuwa Capital) providing expertise in investment, start-ups and commercialisation.
- Dr Liz Dallimore (Director, Western Australia Data Science Innovation Hub) providing expertise in data, innovation and commercialisation.
- Mr Michael Pasquale (Economic Development Officer, City of Perth) providing expertise in WA's medical life sciences sector.
- Dr Michael Winlo (Chief Executive Officer, Emerald Clinics) providing expertise in clinical trials and digital health.
- Adjunct Professor Paul Watt (Director of Research Services and Innovation, Telethon Kids Institute) providing expertise in pharmaceuticals, technology transfer and licensing, and experience working within a medical research institute.
- Ms Robyn Sermon (Executive Director, Innovation and Development, Western Australia Country Health Service) providing expertise in health system innovation in regional and remote areas.
- Dr Samantha South (Chair of AusBiotech’s WA State Committee) providing expertise in commercialisation and links to AusBiotech.