EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ACT 2005 (WA)
ROTTNEST ISLAND CLOSURE DIRECTIONS
The World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic on 11 March 2020.
On 15 March 2020, the Minister for Emergency Services declared a state of emergency with effect from 12 a.m. on 16 March 2020 in respect of the pandemic caused by COVID-19 pursuant to section 56 of the Emergency Management Act 2005 (WA) (Act). The state of emergency applies to the State of Western Australia.
I, Christopher John Dawson, Commissioner of Police and State Emergency Coordinator, now give the following directions, pursuant to my powers under section 67 of the Act.
- The purpose of these directions is to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- These directions may be referred to as the Rottnest Island Closure Directions.
- A person must not enter or remain within Rottnest Island unless:
- the person is a permanent resident; or
- the person enters or remains for the purpose of:
- (i) emergency management; or
- (ii) law enforcement; or
- (iii) providing medical care or medical supplies; or
- the person (A) enters or remains for the purpose of transporting another person who is authorised under these directions to enter or remain on Rottnest Island (B) to or from Rottnest Island, provided that A does not remain on Rottnest Island for longer than is necessary to transport B within or outside those boundaries; or
- the person is authorised to do so by or on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer and the person complies with any terms or conditions to which that authorisation is subject,
- Chief Executive Officer means what that term means under the Rottnest Island Authority Act 1987 (WA).
- Permanent resident means a person whose usual place of residence is on Rottnest Island.
- Rottnest Island means the Rottnest Island Reserve, as that tenn is defined by section 4 of the Rottnest Island Authority Act 1987 (WA).
It is an offence to fail to comply with any of these directions, punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals and $250,000 for bodies corporate.
Christopher John Dawson
State Emergency Coordinator and Commissioner of Police
25 Match 2020