The Swan Valley Planning Act 2020 (the Act) and associated regulations came into effect on 1 August 2021.
The Act replaces and repeals the Swan Valley Planning Act 1995.
The Minister for Planning approved Swan Valley Planning Scheme No.1 which came into effect on 6 August 2021.
In 2017, the Minister for Planning appointed the late Hon John Kobelke JP to undertake an independent review of the Swan Valley. The review centred on identifying the best measures to ensure the region’s prosperity into the future as a rural, agricultural and tourism region servicing locals and visitors alike.
Mr Kobelke undertook extensive consultation with the Swan Valley community, the City of Swan, Swan Valley Planning Committee, landowners, residents, businesses and representative groups.
The Swan Valley Planning Review was released for public feedback and guided the development of the Swan Valley Action Plan. More than 700 people were consulted during the development of the Action Plan, which was released in October 2019.
The whole-of-Government Action Plan is being implemented.
The Swan Valley Action Plan seeks to ensure the region remains an attractive and thriving destination that balances viticulture/agriculture, lifestyle and tourism opportunities that are sympathetic to the rural setting.
Key actions that have occurred include:
- Development and implementation of the new Swan Valley Planning Act 2020
- Creation of the new Swan Valley Planning Scheme No.1
- Establishment of the new Swan Valley Statutory Planning Committee
- Establishment of the new Swan Valley Strategic Leadership Group.
- The Swan Valley Statutory Planning Committee is the single decision-maker for all development and subdivision in the Swan Valley Area.
- The Swan Valley Strategic Leadership Group is established to champion the Swan Valley in non-planning matters such as renaming sections of the area, marketing and promotion of the area.
- The Department continues to work with the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation to create a new Swan Valley groundwater sub-area boundary as part of the draft Gnangara groundwater allocation plan.
Please email any enquiries to email@example.com.