Subsidies and rebates

Energy subsidy schemes. Pensioners and seniors rebate.

A person who holds an appropriate concession card may be eligible for a subsidy or rebate to assist with electricity costs, local government rates charges, the emergency services levy, underground electricity charges and water service charges.

Energy concession extension scheme

Show more
Annual payments to assist eligible people to meet energy consumption costs.

The Energy concession extension scheme consists of

  • Energy assistance payment (EAP)
  • Dependent child rebate (DCR)
  • Air conditioning rebate (ACR)

You may be eligible for a concession if

  • you receive electricity charges direct from a retailer other than Synergy or Horizon Power (e.g. from retailers such as Perth Energy or Alinta Sales) or 
  • you live in a retirement village, apartment building, caravan park (as a long-stay resident) or another type of accommodation where the electricity costs are recouped from the tenants by the owner (for example, strata entity, retirement village management or caravan park management) who is billed directly by Synergy or Horizon Power on behalf of the residential complex.

If you are directly billed by Synergy or Horizon Power, please contact that retailer to discuss your eligibility.

Energy assistance payment rate

Payment is made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly into the bank account nominated on the application form. This must be an Australian cheque or savings account.

The payment amount for 2019/20 is $305.

Dependent child rebate rate

Payment is calculated according to the number of dependent children listed on your eligible concession card.

The payment amount for 2019/20 is $320 for one child and $84 for each additional child.

Air conditioning rebate rate

The payment is to subsidise the cost of operating an air conditioner for eligible households located in areas of high heat discomfort. This is identified as locations north of the 26th Parallel of South Latitude and/or north of the 50-day Relative Strain Index line.

The total value of the rebate varies depending on the residential location of eligible households, and will be calculated at the time of application. The rebate amount is multiplied by the number of eligible months for that residential location.

The payment amount for 2019/20 is $59.75 per month.

How to apply

Use this checklist to ensure that you have all the required information ready before applying.

Apply using our online application form.

You must authorise us to confirm the status of your concession card with Centrelink, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the Department for Communities. You may also need to authorise us to confirm energy usage and supply at your residential address.

We can decline an application if we believe false or misleading information has been provided or the eligibility criteria hasn't been met.

Life support equipment electricity subsidy scheme

Show more
Compensate for the electricity costs of operating life support equipment at home.

To be eligible for the subsidy

  • the patient must be dependent on specified life support equipment used in their homes under specialist medical advice and
  • the patient or the guardian/primary caregiver must be the holder of a Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs), Health Care Card (not including the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card) or Health Care Interim Voucher.

Eligible specialised life support equipment

  • Oxygen Concentrator - Adult - standard capacity
  • Oxygen Concentrator - Adult - high capacity ‘New Life Intensity’
  • Oxygen Concentrator - Child
  • Feeding Pump
  • Suction Pump
  • Apnoea Monitor - Child only
  • Heart Pump
  • Nebuliser - Adult - only when a tracheostomy is expected to be in place for more than 6 months and nebulised therapy is required for life support purposes
  • Nebuliser - Child - only when used every day for 1-2 hours per day
  • Machine Assisted Peritoneal Dialysis Equipment
  • Ventilator - VPAP or BPAP Machines
  • CPAP Machine - Adult - only when clinically prescribed for adults with obesity hypoventilation syndrome, tracheomalacia, obstructive sleep apnoea with sleep hypoventilation, or other life threatening disease as determined by a specialist with usage over four hours per night
  • CPAP Machine - Child - only when prescribed for severe obstructive sleep apnoea, tracheomalacia or other life threatening disease as determined by the treating specialist

Apply for the subsidy.

Thermoregulatory dysfunction energy subsidy scheme

Show more
Offset the energy costs associated with temperature control at the home of eligible people or their dependents with a thermoregulatory dysfunction.

The subsidy is intended for people who hold means tested concession cards, (or the dependents of people who hold means tested concession cards) and who require heating and/or cooling to control the temperature in their homes under medical advice.

To qualify for a subsidy, the patient must satisfy at least two of the following three criteria and be certified by a doctor who has been treating them for at least three months.

  1. A medical condition with an evidence-based association with the deterioration of this condition in temperature extremes. For example, severe cases of spinal cord injury, stroke, brain injury, neurodegenerative disorders, multiple sclerosis and familial disautonomia (a genetic disorder affecting individuals’ automatic (involuntary) bodily responses, including sweating).
  2. Loss of skin integrity or loss of sweating capacity. For example, significant burns of greater than 20 percent of body surface area, severe inflammatory skin conditions and some rare forms of disordered sweating.
  3. Objective reduction of autonomic regulation and physiological functioning at extremes of environmental temperatures (excessive sweating, heart rate increases or changes in blood pressure) resulting in dehydration, dizziness or fainting.

How to apply

Apply for the subsidy if you are

  • a patient, who requires heating and/or cooling for their own use or
  • a guardian or primary caregiver of a person who uses the energy for heating and/or cooling in their home.

The applicant must hold one of the following concession cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs)
  • Health Care Card
  • Health Care Interim Voucher.

Pensioners and seniors rebate

Show more
Local government rates may be deferred or rebated.

The Pensioners and Seniors Rebate Scheme provides a rebate or deferment of charges to eligible pensioners and seniors. Concessions apply to local government rates charges, the emergency services levy, underground electricity charges (if applicable) and water service charges.

If you hold a Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, or WA Seniors Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, apply through the Water Corporation for a rebate. The rebate will be limited to a maximum (capped) amount which is reviewed annually.  The Water Corporation will advise your local government authority if you are eligible for a rebate.

  • Holders of the Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card - the rebate is up to 50% for rates, limited to a maximum (capped) amount of $750.
  • Holders of the WA Seniors Card and the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card - the rebate is up to 50% for rates, limited to a maximum (capped) amount of $750.
  • Holders of the WA Seniors Card only - the rebate is up to 25% for rates, limited to a maximum (capped) amount of $100.
Page reviewed 19 September 2019