The State Records Office provides a consultative and advisory service to local and State government organisations throughout Western Australia. The SRO team aims to assist with best practice records and information management and compliance with recordkeeping standards.
If you need specialist advice with any aspect of records management please contact us at email@example.com.
The State Records Office produces a range of guides and other material to assist your orgnisation with best practice recordkeeping.
While State Records Office publications are developed primarily for the public sector, they can also be of use to the private sector.
Frequently Asked QuestionsShow more
COVID-19 - Do I have to register the COVID-19 contact lists in my EDRMS or BIS?
As the registers are short term records, it will not be necessary to scan the hard copy contact registers into the Organisation’s EDRMS. It will double your work load by scanning and then disposing of both hard copy and electronic.
COVID-19 - Does the CEO have to authorise the destruction of each batch of COVID-19 Contact Registers?
As these records are only required to be kept for 28 days it would be advisable for your organisation to set up a standing order for the destruction after the required retention period.
The SRO recommends that the contact registers are disposed of as soon as the 28 day retention period has expired. Where this is not possible please make sure the registers as kept in a secure location to prevent unlawful access to the personal information they contain.
New Records Management Plan (RMP) - How do I proceed if my organisation's new or amended RMP is due this year, and I want to use the new RMP template?
Please contact us to discuss the submission date for your RMP. In the meantime, we recommend you review, and, where necessary, update the following documents in preparation for completing your RMP once the new template is available:
- Policy and procedures covering all major aspects of recordkeeping in your organisation (e.g. records capture and control, security and access, digitization, disposal, etc.)
- File plan / thesaurus
- Disaster Management Plan
Organisations will be advised once the RMP template has been approved by the State Records Commission and available for use.
State Records PublicationsShow more
State Records Office Guidelines provide best practice advice on managing records.
- State Records Office Guideline - Archival Storage Specification
- State Records Office Guideline - Implementing a Revised Disposal Authority - Resentencing Records
- State Records Office Guideline - Management of Digital Records
- State Records Office Guideline - Records Retention and Disposal Instructions
- State Records Office Guideline - Sanitizing Digital Media
- Digitization Specification - A Recordkeeping Guideline for State Organizations
- Directions for Keeping State Archives Awaiting Transfer
- Digitization Specification