The FPC has developed the Karri forest management plan (KFMP) and Karri forest HCV assessment (HCV assessment) to meet the requirements of the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) Controlled Wood Standard (FSC-STD-30-010; FSC-C120630) and the associated FSC Australia’s High Conservation Values (HCVs) evaluation framework. The FPC sources timber from pure and mixed karri forest, which is available for harvesting under the Forest Management Plan 2014-2023.
A copy of the FPC’s FSC® Controlled Wood certificate and audit reports are available on the following website.
The FPC undertakes stakeholder consultation on the identification of high conservation values (HCVs) within the defined forest management unit (FMU) and the precautionary measures in place to protect them. At each revision of the KFMP and HCV assessment, stakeholder feedback has been considered. The May 2022 versions of the KFMP and HCV assessment are now available to download:
Summaries of the changes made since the previous versions of the KFMP and HCV assessment are available to view here:
References and resourcesShow more
Some key external references referred to in the KFMP and HCV assessment are available for download:
- Forest Management Plan 2014-2023
- Review of data and methodology for old-growth mapping in the South West forest region of Western Australia (April 1997) (PDF 502 KB)
- Old-growth mapping – A report prepared for the Western Australian regional forest agreement (1998) (PDF 246 KB)
- Regional forest agreement in Western Australia – Review of old-growth areas raised by stakeholders (August 1998) (PDF 1.8 MB)
- CRA – old-growth assessment WA Consultancy Paul McDonald – 6-9 November 1996 Field inspections (PDF 3852 KB)
- Age structure of the karri forest: 1. Defining and mapping structural development stages (PDF 640.07 KB)
- Reference material for karri forest silviculture
FPC information sheets
In addition, some brief information materials have been developed and are available here:
- Information sheet – Management of threatened and priority species in the karri forests (PDF 414 KB)
- Information sheet – Management of karri old-growth forests (PDF 1.27 MB)
- Information sheet – Fauna and cockatoo surveys in the karri forest (PDF 457 KB)
Procedure 46 – Targeted fauna surveys within pure and mixed karri forest was updated in March 2020. The key changes are:
Probability of occurrence of the malleefowl has increased from three to one, western pygmy trapdoor spider has decreased from one to two, and bilby has decreased from three to four.
This procedure is available here:
Karri forest monitoring results
Reports on karri fauna monitoring are now available:
- Report on Karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures - May 2022) (PDF 3.66MB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures – September 2021 (PDF 1.52MB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures – June 2020 (PDF 2.22 MB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures – June 2019 (PDF 2.73 MB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures – June 2018 (PDF 875 KB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures – June 2017 (PDF 547 KB)
- Report on karri fauna monitoring objectives, targets and performance measures – March 2016 (PDF 678 KB)
Other FPC publications
- Karri fauna monitoring training manual (PDF 2.9 MB)
I would like to comment on the KFMP and HCV assessmentShow more
The FPC welcomes your feedback. We are not currently holding a formal stakeholder consultation period, however comments can be received at anytime through the channels below. Periodic revisions of the KFMP and HCV assessment will be made as required.
Feedback and requests to be considered as a stakeholder for the KFMP can also be provided via:
Phone: 61 8 9363 4600
Written feedback can also be sent to:
Forest Products Commission
Locked Bag 888
Perth Business Centre
Western Australia 6849
You are welcome to request a meeting with one of our staff and/or request further information.
Please note: we appreciate any comments made to us and will endeavour to respond directly to any queries but please be patient, as response times may vary depending on the nature of the enquiry.
For feedback on forest management, we encourage stakeholders to contact the DBCA to directly provide input into the upcoming Forest Management Plan 2024-2033. A formal consultation period will be initiated upon release of the Draft Plan. To keep updated on the Plan’s progress, the FPC recommends registering for a newsletter with the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA).
How will my feedback be used?Show more
The feedback will be collated and considered for the next revision of the KFMP and HCV assessment.
Your comments can remain private if you wish. If you do not explicitly request your feedback is to remain private, it may be published (along with your name).