Timber workers registration

Within Western Australia, workers in specific roles within the timber industry are required to possess a valid timber workers registration.

Timber workers registrations are mandatory under the provisions of the Forest Management Regulations 1993.

The Forest Products Commission (FPC) is responsible for managing and issuing timber worker registrations.

The following information will guide you through the process of obtaining your registration, as well as answering some of the questions you may have about the registration process.

Do I need to register as a timber worker?

Show more

The requirement to register depends on the role of work you perform. Here are some of the categories of work for which registration is required:

  • Chainsaw Operator
  • General Hand (Swamper)
  • Log Haulier
  • Machine Feller
  • Mobile Plant Operator
  • Skyline Operator
  • Skyline Chokerman
  • Supervisor
  • Tree Marker Softwood
  • Tree Marker Hardwood

If you’re unsure that the work you perform requires registration, please visit or contact your local FPC office so our staff can give you the best advice.

Training requirements

Show more

In order to register, you need to have successfully completed a course of recognised training relevant to your role.

There are a number of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) who provide recognised training under the Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF).

To assist in finding a training provider in your area, you can refer to the Forestworks website at www.forestworks.com.au.

Once you have successfully completed your training, you should be issued a certificate showing the relevant units of competency.

Full registration

If applying for full registration, a copy of your competency certificate must be submitted with your application, as this ensures the right training has been completed for each role.

Probationary registration

If you are applying for probationary registration, you need to demonstrate that you are enrolled in the right unit for each role. This means providing your enrolment paperwork or other documentation from the training organisation which lists the relevant units of competency being undertaken.

Overseas trained applicants

You will need to contact a Registered Training Organisation to have your qualifications converted to Australia’s national training scheme.

This can generally be achieved by enrolling for the relevant course and applying for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

You will need to contact the individual training organisation to find out their process for RPL enrolments.

Again, once you have been certified under Australia’s national training scheme, you must ensure a copy of the competency certificate is submitted with your application.

How to register

Show more

Registration as a timber worker forms part of FPC’s Integrated Forest Management System (IFMS). All staff working for or on behalf of FPC are required to complete online e-Learning modules.

Step 1: Request a login required to complete mandatory online eLearning modules

Logins can be requested by emailing contractor.training@fpc.wa.gov.au. When requesting a login, please include the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Your contact phone number
  • Your email address so we can send you the online e-Learning module details

Step 2: Complete your modules and download the application form

You are required to obtain an 85% pass mark for any modules completed. You will have three attempts to pass each module. If you are unsuccessful after three attempts you will be required to complete a face-to-face induction with a FPC representative.

A copy of the timber workers registration form can be downloaded and printed from the online e-Learning modules.

Step 3: Complete and submit the application form

Application forms can be lodged in person at any FPC office or via email to twr.applications@fpc.wa.gov.au.

A non-refundable application fee of $25.00 must be paid at the time of application via one of the following methods:

  • In cash at any FPC office (in person only)
  • Non-negotiable cheque or money order payable to the Forest Products Commission
  • Direct deposit
    • BSB: 066-040
    • Account number: 11300057
  • Credit card - Please contact our Accounts Receivable Officer on (08) 9363 4642 or FPC Bunbury on (08) 9725 5288
  • Once your application has been received along with your training records and the application fee or payment receipt, you will be advised of the registration decision.

*Note: Please allow five working days for approval of your application. Approval is required before commencing work in State forest or plantations.

Registrations are valid for a period of three (3) years.

Things to know once registered

Show more

Once your registration has been approved, a certificate and a registration card will be posted to the address indicated on your application.

Your registration card must be accessible at all times when undertaking your timber industry role.

Officers from the FPC and the Department of Parks and Wildlife are permitted to inspect your timber worker registration. Failing to present your card when required can result in fines and further liabilities.

The registration card is issued to the person named on the card for their sole use and must not be used by anyone else. Doing so could result in a fine or prosecution.

Moving or changing address?

Show more

If you move or change address during the registration period, it is important that you keep us informed of your new contact details by contacting the FPC Senior LOIS Officer on (08) 9363 4600.

Replacing your registration card

Show more

To arrange a replacement card, simply contact the FPC Senior LOIS Officer on (08) 9363 4600.

While your replacement card is being issued, please ensure you have sufficient photographic identification (e.g. divers licence) in case you are approached by an office from the FPC or the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions.

Renewing your registration

Show more

Within 4 to 8 weeks of your registration expiring, you will receive a renewal notice.

Cancelling your registration

Show more

Simply surrender your registration card to any FPC office, or send it by registered mail with a note advising it is no longer required. Upon receipt of your card, your registration will be cancelled.

Further information

Show more

If you have any questions regarding timber workers registration, please contact (08) 9725 5288 or email twr.applications@fpc.wa.gov.au.

Alternatively you are welcome to visit your local FPC office to speak to one of our staff.

Please use the following address if you are required to post information to us:

Timber Worker Registrations
Forest Products Commission
PO BOX 236

Page reviewed 6 September 2021