Regional Agriculture, Tourism & Hospitality Workers Travel and Accommodation Support Scheme

This Scheme has closed. Applications that have been previously submitted will be processed and no new applications are being accepted.

The Regional Agriculture, Tourism and Hospitality Workers Travel and Accommodation Support Scheme (Scheme) supports employment in regional areas by encouraging Australian job seekers and Working Holiday Maker (WHM) visa holders to travel to regional Western Australia for work.  

To confirm your eligibility, please access the full application guidelines before you apply.

See Frequently Asked Questions for further details.



Who can apply for funding? 

You can apply for funding if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are currently living in Australia.
  • You have the right to work in Australia.
  • You have relocated more than 100km from your current place of residence to live and work in regional Western Australia.
  • You are employed or were employed in an eligible job role in an agriculture, fisheries, or food processing business through direct employment or through a labour hire or contracting business since 9 September 2021; OR  
  • You are employed or were employed in an eligible job role in a tourism, hospitality business through direct employment or through a labour hire or contracting business since 3 March 2022.
  • You have been employed for at least 40 hours over 2 consecutive weeks (14 days) by the same employer.
  • You meet all the requirements outlined in these guidelines.

Funding amounts

Eligible applicantsmay claim:  

  • Accommodation Allowance: An accommodation allowance of $40 per day ($280 per week) for each day living away from home in regional area, up to a maximum of:
    • Australian citizens/permanent residents: 12 weeks (84 days)
    • Working Holiday Maker visa holders (subclass 417, 462 or 408): 6 weeks (42 days) from 3 March 2022
  • Travel Allowance: a one-off travel allowance based on the region of employment.
  • $150: Peel, South-West, Great Southern, Wheatbelt, Mid-West and Goldfields-Esperance regions
  • $350: Gascoyne or Pilbara regions
  • $500: Kimberley region


    Eligibility requirements

    To be eligible you must meet the following eligibility criteria.

    You must:

    1. Be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or hold a valid work visa. 
    2. Have an account with an Australian commercial bank or credit union.  
    3. Be able to provide acceptable evidence of your usual place of residence, where you live as an owner, tenant or boarder, or where you reside with your family. 
    4. Be employed and live in a region of Western Australia (outside the Perth Metropolitan Area). The regions include the South West, Peel, Great Southern, Wheatbelt, Goldfields-Esperance, Mid-West, Gascoyne, Pilbara or Kimberley region (defined in the Regional Development Act 1993).
    5. Have taken up employment in an eligible job role in a tourism, hospitality, agriculture, fisheries or food processing business through direct employment or through a labour hire or contracting business with a current Australian Business Number (ABN). 

    5(a) Agricultural industry job roles include: 

    • On-farm planting, maintenance, harvest, grading or packing of crops. 
    • Off-farm grading or packing of horticultural fresh produce (please note that harvested grain does not qualify).
    • On-farm breeding and caring of livestock (including shearing and aquaculture activities). 
    • Time-critical primary food processing of fresh, perishable produce. 
    • Commercial fishing, or time-critical processing and packing of seafood. 

    5(b) Tourism and Hospitality industry job roles (related to servicing the visitor economy) include: 

    • Preparation or delivery of food and/or beverages to customers/guests at tourism and hospitality businesses. Includes wait staff, bar staff, baristas, kitchenhands, cooks, chefs. 
    • Cleaning, housekeeping or groundskeeping.
    • Administrative services such as receptionist, cashier, supervisor/manager, tourism information centre staff.
    • Tour operator or tourist attraction staff (including marine staff, deck hand, tour guide/driver).


    Please Note:

    Tourism and hospitality businesses relate to servicing the visitor economy and include, but are not limited to hotels, hostels, resorts, caravan parks, B&B, farmstay, restaurants, cafés, taverns, pubs, bars, wineries, breweries, distilleries, land/water/air tours, visitor information centres. 

    Hospitality roles that service staff and/or non-visitor economy operations are not eligible, including but not limited to mine sites, hospitals, aged care, childcare facilities, schools, supermarkets or other such business operations.


    1. Have started work on or after 9th September 2021 for agriculture roles and on or after 3rd March 2022 for tourism and hospitality roles. 
    2. Have started work within 10 days of relocating to regional Western Australia.
    3. Be in paid employment under the relevant Award and not working as a volunteer. 
    4. Be employed full-time in agriculture OR be employed a minimum of 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) in hospitality or tourism. 
    5. Be employed for a minimum of two consecutive weeks (14 days) for the same employer.

    Please note:

    Employment for the same employer can be at different physical locations in regional WA.

    Applicants can change employers after the 14 day minimum if they continue to meet all eligibility criteria.

    1. Be able to provide the address, name and contact details of the owner or business where you are living while working in regional WA. 
    2. Be able to provide all requested details of the business which is employing you, including their ABN, a valid email address and contact telephone number of your employer and the physical addresses where the work was undertaken. 
    3. Not be a dependent of the owner or operator of the employing business and/or beneficiary of the family trust of the employer. 


    For questions about working ages, please see



    Applications can be submitted online.

    Applicants must answer all questions and have uploaded the required documents or evidence to progress the assessment.

    There is a limited pool of funds and the Scheme will end when funds are fully allocated.

    What you will need to provide

    Applicants will need to provide the following: 

    1. Evidence that they have the right to work in Australia  

    • For Australians, a copy of a current Passport, Birth Certificate or Extract, Citizenship Certificate or other evidence of Resident Status. (Please note that a driver's licence is NOT proof of your right to work).   
    • For non-Australians, a copy of a current passport and a valid working visa if requested.

    2. Evidence of their usual home address, being the address where the applicant livedbeforethey relocated to a region.Acceptable evidence includes:  

    • copy of current Drivers’ Licence or Photo ID Card, or  
    • copy of recent bank statement showing name and address, or  
    • copy of rental agreement, or  
    • copy of Local Government rates notice, or
    • receipt from a commercial accommodation provider.  

    Applicants unable to provide any of the above can contact the Team at before submitting an application for consideration of other acceptable evidence. 

    3. The address where they are living while working in regional WA, together with the name and contact details of the owner or manager of the accommodation.  

    4. Details of employment including the employer’s name, contact details, business name, Australian Business Number, the type of work performed, dates worked and physical address/es where work was undertaken. 

    Assessment and payment

    Applications are assessed in the order they are received until all allocated funds have been exhausted.  

    The submission of an application does not guarantee the applicant will receive funding.   

    Incomplete applications, or applications where required documents have not been uploaded, will not be assessed and applicants will be notified. Assessors reserve the right to request additional supporting documents from applicants if required for accurate assessment.  

    Assessors must be able to contact employers to verify work claims. Applicants must provide correct contact details and a valid ABN for their employer.  

    A travel allowance is only payable once in any funding round. Applicants who change employers or regions cannot claim another travel allowance payment.  

    The accommodation allowance is paid for a maximum of 84 days (42 days for Working Holiday Maker visa holders). This amount may be accumulated through multiple employers, providing the 2-week (14 consecutive calendar days) minimum criteria is met with each employer.  

    Applicants should allow at least eight and up to sixteen weeks for assessment and processing of applications. Payments are made as soon as possible after assessment and approval of claim. Payments are made electronically to the nominated bank account.  

    The Department of Primary Industries and Regional (DPIRD) reserves the right to review and amend the list of eligible jobs, industries, regions or visa holders if required to address critical labour shortages in regions or industries.  

    No advocacy or lobbying will be accepted on behalf of individuals, industries or regions. 

    Tax information

    • Rebate payments under this scheme are outside the scope of GST, and applicants are encouraged to seek tax advice on the potential implications of obtaining this rebate.

    Frequently asked questions

    For further assistance, download the Frequently Asked Questions. 

    Personal information and disclosure of information

    Applicants are informed that DPIRD is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 1992 (WA), which provides a general right of access to records held by State Government agencies and Local Governments.


    Page reviewed 20 December 2022