Welcome to the Western Australian Government complaints information page.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is any expression of dissatisfaction made to an organisation, related to its products, services, or the complaints handling process itself, where a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly expected.

A whole of government complaints management policy has been established to make sure your valuable feedback goes towards improving services and processes in State Government agencies.

Seeking advice about making a complaint

Ombudsman Western Australia provides advice, guidelines and information to assist members of the public to make complaints to State Government agencies and to understand the complaints process. The Ombudsman also provides information on what you can expect when you make a complaint and what agencies will expect from you when you do. For further information, you may wish to visit the Ombudsman’s site at or contact the Ombudsman’s office on 9220 7555 or 1800 117 000 (Country callers only).

Making a complaint

As a general rule, you should make your complaint to the agency involved in the first instance to give the agency the opportunity to address your concerns. Many agencies have complaints forms on their web sites, so you can lodge your complaint over the internet. Look for the "feedback", "comments" or "contact us" links on agency web sites. Follow the links to the complete list of government agencies for contact details.

If you need assistance to make your complaint, you may wish to ask someone or an organisation to help you. Details of some organisations that can assist are found at the Western Australian Council of Social Service Inc (WACOSS).

Taking complaints further

If your complaint is not resolved by the agency, you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman at:

If you would like to make a general comment about the Government, please call the Community Comment Line on 6552 6888 or toll free 1800 198 274, or send an email to:

Reviews and appeals

Some issues are not dealt with by the complaints handling process in an agency. Instead, they are dealt with through an established appeal or review process that is part of an agency’s system. If you contact an agency to make a complaint, they will advise you if there is an appeal or review process you should use.

Complaining about someone else

If you want to complain about someone who does not work for a State Government agency, for example a tradesperson, there may be a government agency that regulates them. Follow the links to the complete list of government agencies for contact details. Ombudsman Western Australia also has links to industry Ombudsman who handle complaints about certain private sector organisations.