Action taken to protect children as a result of case review

31/10/06 Urgent action has been taken to protect 12 children identified as being at risk, in a review of critical cases ordered by Community Development Minister David Templeman.

31/10/06
Urgent action has been taken to protect 12 children identified as being at risk, in a review of critical cases ordered by Community Development Minister David Templeman.
Mr Templeman will also establish an ongoing review process to ensure concerns about the safety of children raised now and in the future are properly investigated.
The review of cases where serious concerns about the welfare and safety of children and young people had been raised with the Minister found that in eight of the 39 cases referred for review, there were serious concerns about the safety and well-being of the 12 children involved.
The Minister ordered the review following a recommendation by State Coroner Alastair Hope that the Department for Community Development conduct a review of its practices.
Of the 39 cases reviewed, eight were referred to the department's Director General for immediate action. One is yet to be completed due to Family Court involvement.
Mr Templeman said the department moved straight away to ensure the ongoing safety of each of the children identified as being at risk:

  • In four cases, the department has commenced the process of taking statutory protective action through the Children's Court.
  • In one case, the child was now being cared for by another family member.
  • In another case, the child's behaviour had now stabilised due to around-the-clock additional intensive support.
  • In a further two cases, intensive family support or psychology services was being provided.
The Minister said the Government accepted all 15 recommendations made by the reviewers. Members of the review team had also indicated they supported the Government's response to their report.
"It is extremely important that we continue this process of an ongoing review of complex cases or those where serious concerns are identified," Mr Templeman said.
"The report highlighted areas where the department can improve its practice, particularly in relation to those issues that affect children, such as alcohol, drug, mental health and domestic violence."
This ongoing review is part of the Carpenter Government's plan to strengthen child protection in Western Australia, which includes the following:
  • In this year's State Budget, the department received an extra $140million funding package over the next four years, which is the single biggest allocation of additional funding in the history of the department.
  • In September 2006, an additional $50million was provided to employ an extra 133 workers, including 87 caseworkers, this financial year.
  • A review of the department, currently under way, to ensure its primary function is the protection of children.
The Minister also announced that the Director General of the Department for Community Development, Ms Jane Brazier, would retire from the public service effective Friday, November 3. The Government would soon advertise for a new Director General. However, the Director General of the Disability Services Commission, Dr Ruth Shean, would act in the position in the interim.
Minister's office: 9220 5050