State Revenue customer service charter
We monitor performance against key service standards monthly and annually to make sure we
- act with integrity and impartiality to ensure we treat all customers equally
- issue a written statement if the grounds of an assessment or decision differ significantly from your submission. If we don't initially provide a written statement, we will provide one within 30 days if you request one
- acknowledge and rectify if we have made an error
- take active steps to resolve any complaint we received and advise you of the outcome
- return telephone messages by the end of the following business day if the person responsible can't assist you immediately
- respect your privacy in relation to all information held by us. We will provide access to or disclose your information with your consent where authorised by law
- perform audits and investigations as part of our commitment to administer taxes fairly and efficiently and to assist you in meeting your statutory obligations
- provide online lodgment and payment services for various tax lines 24/7.
See the results of our latest annual customer perception survey.
How we meet our standardsShow more
Education and training
We provide relevant, accurate and easy to use information through website content and education sessions.
Early dispute resolution
We engage with you at the earliest opportunity to prevent disputes in the first instance, and where possible, minimise the expense, delay and stress a protracted tax dispute can cause.
If you disagree with an assessment, contact the Revenue Officer identified on the notice of assessment or the relevant enquiry line. We will explain the grounds for the assessment and do our best to resolve the dispute.
Objections and appeals
If we can't reach a resolution, you can lodge an objection in relation to an assessment or decision. Objections are reviewed by a senior officer in an area separate from that of the original decision maker.
What we expect from youShow more
We will presume you are honest and expect you to be courteous and cooperative. We ask you to
- be aware of your taxation obligations
- take reasonable care when lodging information and with record keeping
- make all lodgments and payments within the specified timeframes
- provide complete and accurate information when requested
- establish, maintain and allow access to your records as required by law
- keep us informed of your contact details in the event that we need to contact you.