DPIRD Complaints

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) is committed to providing high-quality services to meet our customers’ needs. Customers who are dissatisfied with our services or officers can file a complaint.
Last updated:

What is a complaint?

A complaint is any unresolved expression of dissatisfaction raised with the department by, or on behalf of a customer, including members of the public, government agencies, or other external organisations, that relates to the department’s products or services, the performance, behaviour and conduct of staff, or the complaints handling process itself.

A formal complaint must be for the purpose of doing business with the department and the services we provide.

A complaint does not include the following:

  • any contact relating to a product or service, where information or clarification is sought about government policies and/or legislation which is outside the direct control of the department
  • matters that are covered by existing statutory processes that provide appeal mechanisms
  • approaches made directly to the Minister or the Ombudsman Western Australia
  • allegations of misconduct by public officers involving corrupt or criminal activities, which must be reported to the Corruption and Crime Commission
  • disclosures about wrongdoing within the state public sector involving improper conduct or irregular use of public resources, which can be pursued through the Public Interest Disclosure process
  • issues raised by staff about internal matters, which are covered by the department’s grievance policy.

Privacy protected

The department will protect the complainant’s confidentiality and privacy and offer whatever assistance they need to lodge a formal complaint, recognising their right to be heard without fear of retribution and at no charge.

Assistance for customers with special needs

To ensure that customers who need to contact the department are not disadvantaged as a result of language barriers, interpreters can be organised on behalf of customers to assist and documents can be translated into an appropriate language upon request.

If you need help as a result of a hearing or speech impairment the National Relay Service can assist you if you telephone 13 36 77 (free call).

Contact us

If you wish to lodge a formal complaint because you are not satisfied with any aspect of the department’s services provided, please contact us by:

Phone: 61 8 6552 2008

Email: complaint@dpird.wa.gov.au 

Post: Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
Locked Bag 4
Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983

Online: Submit a complaint form via our Fisheries or Agriculture and Food sites.

Complaints process

Why do we need to know?
Your feedback is important to us as it helps improve our services. If you are unable to lodge a complaint, you may nominate someone to act on your behalf.

What information is needed?

A simple statement telling us the nature of the complaint, contact details of the person lodging the complaint, and the outcome expected to resolve the complaint. Should further information be required, we will contact you.

What will happen then?

Your submission is recorded and the investigation process begins.

When should I receive a reply?

We aim to:

  • respond to telephone messages and acknowledge receipt of emails within 2 business days
  • complete an investigation and respond to formal complaints within 30 business days
  • acknowledge and rectify our errors.

What if I am not satisfied with the response to my complaint?

If you remain dissatisfied, you have the option to refer the matter to the Ombudsman Western Australia.

Ombudsman Western Australia

Phone: 61 8 9220 7555

Phone: 1800 117 000 for callers outside the metropolitan area

Email: mail@ombudsman.wa.gov.au 

Post: Ombudsman Western Australia
PO Box Z5386
St Georges Terrace

In person: Level 12
44 St Georges Terrace,
Perth, Western Australia

For further information, visit Ombudsman Western Australia.