Due to the worsening COVID-19 situation in NSW, the approval criteria for entering WA under compassionate grounds has been further tightened.
WA residents wanting to enter from NSW are not guaranteed right of entry, and need to demonstrate extenuating circumstances to be granted approval to enter WA.
The State Emergency Coordinator will only approve an individual after consideration of all of the circumstances, including the public health risks.
The hard border with NSW was introduced on 23 June due to the increased risk of community transmission arising from the situation in NSW.
The current Directions state that travel from NSW is not permitted, unless you are an approved traveller.
The strict approvals are limited to:
- senior Government officials
- certain active military personnel
- a member of the Commonwealth Parliament
- a person carrying out functions under a law of the Commonwealth
- certain persons carrying out a limited range of specialist functions
- anyone who is given approval by the State Emergency Coordinator or an authorised officer
The final category could include Western Australians that may have travelled to NSW prior to the hard border and need to return to WA.