Following the WA Chief Health Officer’s latest health advice, Queensland will transition from a ‘very low risk’ State to a ‘medium risk’ State under WA’s controlled interstate border regime, from 12.01 Saturday, 9 January 2021.
Anyone who has arrived into WA from Friday, 8 January 2021 from Queensland will be tested on arrival at the airport and will be required to self-quarantine immediately for 14 days, and be tested again on Day 11.
Effective immediately, anyone who has arrived from Queensland since January 2 or was in Queensland from January 2 and has since arrived in WA will be required to do the following:
- self-quarantine in a suitable premise until you have spent 14 days in WA;
- present for an initial COVID-19 test by Tuesday, 12 January;
- present for a COVID-19 test if any symptoms develop during quarantine;
- present for a COVID-19 test on day 11 after arrival in WA (if still in WA).
Anyone who has arrived from Queensland since January 2 will be contacted by WA Police with these instructions, as a result of the G2G Pass declaration system in place in WA.
For anyone already in WA who has come into contact with someone who recently arrived from Queensland, they do not need to self-quarantine but should be tested for COVID-19 if symptoms develop.
Travel from Queensland will no longer be permitted, unless you are an exempt traveller. This also applies to anyone who may have been in Queensland since January 2 and has not completed 14 days in a lower risk State or Territory. The exemption list is limited to:
- certain senior Government officials;
- certain active military personnel;
- a member of the Commonwealth Parliament;
- a person carrying out functions under a law of the Commonwealth;
- a person responsible for transport freight or logistics; and
- anyone who is given approval by State Emergency Coordinator or an authorised officer.
The final category includes compassionate reasons - including those Western Australians that may have travelled to Queensland recently and need to return to WA.
These people will be assessed by WA Police and will be required to complete 14 days of self-quarantine and be tested for COVID-19 on arrival and on day 11.
For information on testing clinic locations and opening hours visit the COVID clinics page.
For FAQs relating to the QLD hard border see Queensland Arrivals Frequently Asked Questions.