The objectives of this policy to:
- make cycling safer and more convenient through the provision of end-of-trip facilities and by the provision of better cycle route networks
- ensure that the needs of cyclists are recognised and provided for by planning and road construction authorities
- encourage more work, school and shopping trips to be made by bicycle through the provision of more (and better) cycling facilities
- increase the general awareness of the benefits of cycling
- ensure adequate consideration is given to the provision of cycling facilities in planning studies and in the implementation of statutory planning controls.