The intent of this policy is to:
- Use the water allocation licensing process to achieve improved water use efficiency across the state by:
- integrating water use efficiency planning into the water allocation licensing process − increasing licensees’ awareness of their responsibilities relating to water use efficiency, including the preparation of water conservation/efficiency plans (WCEPs)
- empowering licensees to use their knowledge of the local area and their industry to address site specific and operational issues to increase water use efficiency.
- Enhance knowledge of water efficiency planning and techniques through a learning-by-doing approach.
- Convey a clear message that the government and the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation see water use efficiency as an increasingly important area.
- Initially focus these requirements on high volume water users and in areas where competition for accessing the water resources is significant.
This policy was previously known as Statewide policy no. 16.
Please download the document below.