COVID-19 coronavirus: Contact registers for businesses and venues

Information on which businesses and venues need to keep a contact register and how to do so.

Last updated: 25 February 2021 at 4:07pm

Keeping a contact register

More businesses and venues are required to maintain a contact register by collecting contact details of patrons attending their premises, including customers, staff, contractors and visitors.

Details that need to be collected include the location, date, name, telephone number and arrival time of each patron.

You have the right to deny entry to anyone who refuses to provide their contact information.

We also have translated advice about contact registers.

How to keep a contact register

Your contact register can be in any form, as long as it captures the correct contact information, and can easily be provided to authorised officers for contact tracing.

The WA Government has developed a free app, SafeWA, which uses a unique QR code for each venue to allow patrons to sign in. This app is free, easy to use and endorsed by the Department of Health.   

A paper-based contact register must also be made available for patrons if a digital contact register (e.g. SafeWA) is used. This ensures access to a premises is inclusive. Templates for paper-based formats are available on our Toolkit page. You must:

  • keep contact details for at least 28 days
  • store the information confidentially and securely
  • ensure customer details are not easily disclosed to other customers

Who has to keep a contact register?

To help with contact tracing and to keep WA safe, more businesses will need to maintain a contact register.

This includes takeaway services, retailers and private or commercial buses or vessels that carry 20 or more passengers, and where different groups of people interact at any time.

The list of business required to maintain a contact register includes:

  • food and licensed venues (restaurants, takeaway services, food courts, cafés, bars, pubs, taverns, nightclubs)
  • retailers (supermarkets, department stores, pharmacies, hardware and general retailers) and the retail components of other businesses (bank branches, post offices, manufacturing showrooms)
  • gyms, indoor sporting centres, wellness centres, health clubs and fitness centres
  • indoor play centres
  • saunas and bathhouses
  • swimming pool, both indoors and outdoors
  • places of worship, and funeral parlours
  • beauty and personal care services (hairdressers, barbers, nail salons, tattoo parlours, spa and massage parlours)
  • galleries and museums
  • cinemas, theatres and other entertainment venues (casino, gaming or gambling venues)
  • motor vehicles or boats which are capable of carrying 12 or more passengers and is used on a commercial basis for a party, tour or function
  • auction houses and real estate inspections
  • community facilities, libraries and halls
  • zoos and amusement parks
  • function centres
  • hotels, motels, campgrounds or other accommodation facilities that ordinarily have check-in arrangements
  • boarding schools or residential colleges (not including residents)
  • adult entertainment premises (strip clubs, brothels and sex on premises venues)
  • venues where events are held and certain outdoor functions and gatherings under 500 people (e.g. weddings, corporate functions, carnival, fetes, festivals, markets, funerals/memorial services). 
  • public and private hospitals (visitors only – persons visiting patients or attending meetings/lectures, couriers, and contractors)


The WA Government has developed a free app, SafeWA, which assists businesses to keep their contact register system in an easy and convenient manner.

SafeWA can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

More information on how to use the SafeWA app and troubleshooting tips are also available for businesses and venues.

Helpful collateral for businesses

A range of collateral and assets have been created to help businesses and venues to implement, maintain and communicate that a mandatory contact register is in place. This toolkit includes posters, pull up banners, manual contact register forms and more.

 Information on best practices for maintaining contact registers is available to help you.

Page reviewed 25 February 2021