The proposed Perth Aboriginal Short Stay Accommodation (Short Stay) facility is in response to the needs of Aboriginal people across Western Australia who travel to Perth to access a range of services or are visiting for business, cultural or family reasons.
The facility will be purpose-built to provide safe, culturally appropriate and affordable short-term accommodation as well as personalised support services for Aboriginal guests. This will help to reduce rough sleeping and overcrowding of housing in Perth and improve the wellbeing of Aboriginal people through increased access to essential services and supports and training, education and employment opportunities.
Community and stakeholder consultation
The Department is engaging with Aboriginal people, the community services sector, government agencies and a range of other stakeholders across the state to ensure the proposed facility is culturally appropriate and responsive to the place it is located and the needs of Aboriginal people it will accommodate.
The following timeframes are indicative only and subject to change:
- December 2022 – Site announced for the Perth Aboriginal Short Stay to be built at 110A Hamilton Street, Cannington.
- December 2022 – Request for Tender published seeking an Architect to design the Perth Aboriginal Short Stay Accommodation.
- December 2022 – Commence engagement activities with residents and stakeholders.
- End 2022 – preferred site announced for the Perth Short Stay and the Request for Tender for a project Architect released on Tenders WA
- 2023 – Community and stakeholder engagement and collaboration on the built-form and service model design
- May 2023 – Western Australian-based Iredale Pedersen Hook Architects appointed to design the Perth Short Stay.
- Mid 2023 - A project definition plan developed to refine the project scope, schedule and cost.
Further information and updates will be provided on this page as the project progresses.
- Read the series of Frequently Asked Questions about our Aboriginal Short Stay Accommodation projects.
- If you have any other queries about the project, or would like to register for updates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Find more information and news about our other Aboriginal Short Stay Accommodation projects underway.