Feedback and complaints

You can make a complaint or give us feedback about your treatment or any aspect of our operations
Last updated:

Complaints can be made about the Mental Health Advocacy Service (MHAS), its products or the people working for the MHAS including mental health advocates.

A copy of our Complaints, Feedback and Compliments Protocol is available.

For further information about the practices and behaviour expected of Advocates, Senior Advocates and the Chief Advocate, please request a copy of our Code of Conduct by email:

All complaints received by MHAS:

  • will be treated as legitimate and investigated without prejudice
  • will be investigated in an equitable, objective and unbiased manner to ensure procedural fairness to all parties and
  • will be dealt with in a confidential manner.

We will use what we learn from managing complaints to improve the services we deliver.

Who can make a complaint

Anyone may make a complaint.

Complaints about the provision of services by MHAS (or lack of it) can be made by any person including:

  • People with mental illness
  • People who support those with mental illness, and
  • Health professionals.

Making a complaint

You can make a complaint verbally or in writing. A formal complaint must be in writing and be sent by email, fax or mail. If you decide to make an informal complaint by phone and are dissatisfied with the outcome, you can then lodge a formal complaint in writing.

  • To make a complaint by phone: ring 6234 6300
  • To make a complaint by email: complete the Complaint Form and email it to
  • To make a complaint by mail: send to Unit 6, 18 Harvest Terrace, West Perth WA 6005.

Complaints will be assessed and recorded on our systems.

Where ever possible the complaint will be resolved informally.

You will be asked how you would like the complaint resolved and the outcome you are seeking.

All aspects of the complaint will be investigated. This will usually involve giving the person about whom the complaint is made a fair opportunity to respond.

Complaint resolution

When the complaint is resolved, the person making the complaint and the person against whom the complaint has been made will be informed of the outcome, including any changes that have/will be made as a result of the complaint being made.

If a resolution cannot be reached, either party can request that the complaint be progressed to the next stage.

If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the operation of, or treatment by, the Mental Health Advocacy Service (MHAS) you can make a complaint. 

Further Avenues of Complaint

If a person is dissatisfied with the outcome of the complaint process they can either contact the Ombudsman’s Office or the Minister for Mental Health.

Ombudsman Western Australia

Telephone: (08) 9220 7555

Country callers: 1800 117 000 (from outside the metropolitan area)

Facsimile: (08) 9220 7500


Post: PO Box Z5386, St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6831

In person: Level 2, Albert Facey House, 469 Wellington St Perth WA

Further information:  

Minister for Mental Health

Telephone: (08) 6552 5900

Facsimile: (08) 6552 5901


5th Floor, Dumas House, 2 Havelock Street, WEST PERTH WA 6005