The Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage can arrange access to the contents of specific heritage files and reports upon request, provided they do not contain confidential information, or where appropriate permissions have been provided. To access site files and heritage survey reports electronically please complete a site file access request form, available for download below.
If you wish to provide information a possible Aboriginal site, including additional information to the AHIS or hardcopy files, please visit Report an Aboriginal heritage site or an offense against one.
If you are undertaking any activity on a piece of land it is recommended that you refer to the Land use overview.
The Aboriginal heritage places and Aboriginal heritage surveys datasets can be downloaded in different formats.
The data download service has moved to Data WA (https://data.wa.gov.au).
To access data downloads on Data WA you will need to create a SLIP account. Further instructions can be found on the Data WA website.
The Aboriginal Heritage Inquiry System (AHIS) provides information concerning Aboriginal heritage places in Western Australia. A user guide is available for download below.
AHIS user guide (PDF 930KB)
Please note that the AHIS is unavailable during the following times (Western Australian time):
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 02:00AM – 03:30AM
- Wednesday: 00:30AM – 04:30AM
The AHIS provides details about Aboriginal heritage places, such as:
- the location and extent of each place
Note: to preserve confidentiality, the exact location and extent of some places are not displayed on the map—however a shaded region (generally with an area of at least 4km²) provides a general indication of where the place is located
- the assessment status of each place under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1972 (the Act):
- Aboriginal Site: The place has been assessed as meeting Section 5 of the Act
- Other Heritage Place which includes:
- Lodged: Information has been received in relation to the place, but an assessment has not been completed to determine if it meets Section 5 of the Act
- Stored data/Not a Site: The place has been assessed as not meeting Section 5 of the Act
- any access restrictions to additional information that the department holds in relation to the place
- any gender restrictions.
The following copyright applies to maps and images on AHIS:
- Geoscience Australia Copyright for topographic map information shall at all times remain the property of the Commonwealth of Australia, Geoscience Australia, National Mapping Division. All rights reserved. (2005).
- State of Western Australia:
- Aerial Photography, Cadastre, Local Government Authority, and Native Title boundary data copyright © Western Australian Land Information Authority trading as Landgate.
- Copyright for Geothermal Application, Geothermal Title, Mining Tenement, Petroleum Application, and Petroleum Title boundaries shall at all times remain the property of the State of Western Australia, Department of Mines and Petroleum. All rights reserved.
The information provided is made available in good faith and is predominately based on the information provided to the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage (DPLH) by third parties. The information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment as to the accuracy of the information. If you find any errors or omissions in our records, including our maps, it would be appreciated if you email the details to DPLH at AboriginalHeritage@dplh.wa.gov.au and we will make every effort to rectify it as soon as possible.