Employing Aboriginal staff ensures a sensitive approach is taken when dealing with a diverse range of clients, a broader input into our decision-making processes as well as the provision of more appropriate and responsive services for Aboriginal people.
We recognise the diverse skills, knowledge and experiences of Aboriginal people that add value to the role our agency plays in the community, and we aim to demonstrate our commitment to support our Aboriginal staff through our Workforce Equity and Diversity Plan and our upcoming Aboriginal Employment Strategy.
We are committed to:
- creating an equitable and diverse workforce
- attracting and retaining Aboriginal people
- providing culturally appropriate and responsive services to improve equal opportunity outcomes for all.
Aboriginal people are strongly encouraged to apply for roles at all levels and across all portfolios. Please visit Careers at the Department of Communities to find out more about our agency, the people we serve, the types of roles available, our office locations and staff benefits. If you are an Aboriginal person who would like assistance with your application, please contact Jobs and Skills WA on 13 64 64.
Aboriginal Traineeship Programs
- Public Sector Traineeship Program – A 12-month, full-time traineeship program for young people aged 24 years and under. There is a regional focus for this program.
- School Based Traineeship Program – An opportunity for high school students to complete a Certificate II in Government while gaining work experience in the public sector. Trainees spend two days a week in the workplace during Year 11 and 12.
Please also visit the WA Government Jobs Board for the latest traineeship opportunities.
Aboriginal Employment Register
Sign up to the Aboriginal Employment Register to receive emailed updates about our latest jobs, news and events, and to be included on our internal job register for managers to see. The form only takes around 10 minutes to complete. Have your current CV or resume ready to upload before you submit the form.