Advocate for Children in Care

If you're a child or young person in care, then the Advocate for Children in Care is here especially for you.
Last updated:

The Advocate for Children in Care (Advocate) can help you have your say and get heard. They can help you with problems or complaints you can't sort out with your case worker, and they can make sure you have a say in decisions that affect your life. They will:

  • listen to children and young people, help them say what they want to say and help get adults to listen
  • give information and advice about what children and young people are entitled to, and how they should be treated
  • support children and young people if they want to have a decision reviewed or complain about things they believe are wrong  
  • speak to people in authority about what young people say about what works or doesn't work in their lives.

If you're a relative, friend, carer or professional involved with a child or young person in care, please let them know about this service or talk to the Advocate yourself. 

The Department wants to protect and promote the interests of children and young people in care, and the Advocate has been created specifically to focus on them, their views and their concerns.