I’m worried about a child or young person

Where you can go for help if you’re worried a child is unsafe.

Concerned about a child 

If you believe a child is in immediate danger or life-threatening situation, contact the Western Australia Police Force immediately by dialling 000.

If you are concerned about a child’s wellbeing (and it doesn’t require immediate Police attention), please contact the Department of Communities on 1800 273 889 or email cpduty@communities.wa.gov.au.

Mandatory reporting

If you are employed as a doctor, nurse, midwife, teacher, police officer or boarding supervisor you are legally obligated to report any reasonable belief that child sexual abuse has occurred or is occurring. To lodge a written report, or to find out more about your mandatory reporting obligations, visit the Department of Communities' mandatory reporting web page.

Family and domestic violence

If you are experiencing family or domestic violence, help and support is available for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

If life is at threat, call 000 immediately. If you need to report a breach of a Family Violence Order, or require Police attendance, please call 131 444.

 The Women's Domestic Violence Helpline can provide counselling, guide you through safety planning and offer referrals for a refuge if necessary:

  • 1800 007 339 (free call)

The Men's Domestic Violence Helpline can provide counselling and referrals for male perpetrators, as well as male victims of family and domestic violence:

  • 1800 000 599 (free call)

Visit the Department of Communities Crisis and Emergency web page for further information.

Harmful sexual behaviours

If you have concerns about a child’s sexual behaviour, there are services and resources available to assist you to understand children’s sexual development and learn more about children’s harmful sexual behaviours.

Page reviewed 19 August 2021