In 2020, the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation released two waste reform papers for public comment:
- Closing the loop: Waste reforms for a circular economy – consultation paper
- Review of the waste levy – consultation paper
Both papers related to the implementation of the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Strategy 2030 (the waste strategy) and explored options to improve Western Australia’s waste performance.
Closing the loop included specific legislative proposals to address issues identified in previous consultation on waste reform, while the consultation for the waste levy review canvassed broader strategic issues related to the future of the levy’s design.
The consultation period for both papers ran from 20 February to 15 July 2020.
Our response to comments to the Review of the waste levy – consultation paper is provided in the Consultation summary report. Economic advice is provided in Waste levy review - A Marsden Jacob report.
The State Government is still considering the submissions provided in the Closing the loop consultation paper.
Current waste reform projects
We are progressing several waste reform projects to support the objectives of the waste strategy. Concluded, current or upcoming waste reform projects include:
- amendments to the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Regulations 2008 (WARR Regulations) to require recordkeeping and reporting of waste and recycling data from local governments, waste recyclers and licensees of major regional landfills
- Western Australia’s Container Deposit Scheme – Containers for Change
- review of the Environmental Protection (Controlled Waste) Regulations 2004
- proposed amendments to the WARR Levy Regulations to require the use of weighbridges for Category 63, 64 and 65 landfill premises to calculate leviable waste
- review of the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Act 2007
- development of a legislative framework for recovered materials
- ban on e-waste disposal to landfill in Western Australia.
We will be undertaking a review of the waste strategy and seeking public comment on a consultation regulatory impact statement on options to apply the levy to waste from outside the metropolitan area in 2023.