Apply for a water licence or permit

You may need a water licence for taking or interfering with surface water, overland flow water or groundwater.

Water rights in Western Australia are governed by the Rights in Water and Irrigation Act 1914.

There are multiple steps to apply for a water licence or permit:

  • determine if you need a licence or permit for your proposal
  • register to use Water Online
  • apply online or choose the correct application forms for your proposal
  • read the relevant application form guide
  • complete your application form and supply all supporting information, including fees if applicable
  • lodge your application with all supporting information

For further information or to make an enquiry contact us on 1800 508 885 or

If you need multiple assessments or you are not sure what is required for your project, you can contact the Department of Water and Environment Regulation through the one-stop shop.

Page reviewed 2 December 2019