Apply for a subsidy for operating life support equipment at home

Apply to subsidise the electricity costs of operating certain life support equipment at home.

The Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Scheme is available to compensate eligible people for the electricity costs of operating life support equipment at home.

To be eligible

  • the patient must be dependent on specified life support equipment used in their homes under specialist medical advice and
  • the patient or the guardian/primary caregiver must be the holder of a Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs), Health Care Card (not including the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card) or Health Care Interim Voucher.

Subsidy payments are made directly into a cheque or savings account nominated by the applicant.

Apply for the subsidy.

Please notify us if you receive a payment and your address or personal circumstances have changed.


Show more

To be eligible to receive the subsidy, an applicant must hold one of the following means-tested concession cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card (issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs)or
  • Health Care Card (not including the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card) or
  • Health Care Interim Voucher.

RevenueWA will require the applicant’s authorisation to confirm the status of the concession card with Centrelink and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

The applicant may be either

  • the patient who requires the specified life support equipment for their own use or
  • the guardian or primary caregiver of a person who utilises the energy for life support equipment in their own home.

Where the applicant is a child or an adult who is unable to sign the application form due to age or disability, the guardian or primary caregiver may sign the form on their behalf provided the reason for doing so is noted on the application form.

Medical authorisation

Medical authorisation must be provided by

  • a specialist medical practitioner or a medical practitioner working in a specialist department of a hospital or
  • a hospice doctor or
  • in an area outside of the Perth Metropolitan Area, a doctor or General Practitioner who also works on an occasional basis from a local hospital or rural health service.

Specified equipment

Show more

Applicable specified equipment must be prescribed by an authorised medical practitioner and must be operated at the applicant’s home address.

The following table lists the specified life support equipment and the amount of the annual subsidy that is applicable per item of equipment. Equipment not listed in this table is not covered under this scheme.

Specified Life Support Equipment Annual Subsidy
Oxygen Concentrator (Adult - standard capacity) $892
Oxygen Concentrator (Adult - high capacity ‘New Life Intensity’) $1,287
Oxygen Concentrator (Child) $1,338
Feeding Pump $160
Suction Pump $212
Apnoea Monitor (Child only) $268
Heart Pump $421
Adult - only when a tracheostomy is expected to be in place for more than 6 months and nebulised therapy is required for life support purposes
Child - only when used every day for 1-2 hours per day
Machine Assisted Peritoneal Dialysis Equipment $98
Ventilator - VPAP or BPAP Machines $467
CPAP Machine
Adult - only when clinically prescribed for adults with obesity hypoventilation syndrome, tracheomalacia, obstructive sleep apnoea with sleep hypoventilation, or other life threatening disease as determined by a specialist with usage over four hours per night
Child - only when prescribed for severe obstructive sleep apnoea, tracheomalacia or other life threatening disease as determined by the treating specialist


How to apply

Show more

The ‘Life Support Equipment Energy Subsidy Application Form’ must be completed in full, and the authorisation and declaration signed by the applicant and patient, as applicable.

The medical authorisation must be completed in full by an authorised medical practitioner.

To ensure payment is made in a timely manner, please provide the relevant bank account details as they appear on your bank statement. This includes the name of the bank, the branch location, the BSB and account number, and the name of the account holder. If you are unsure about any of these details, please contact your bank for assistance.

Where the patient lives in a form of supported accommodation such as a nursing home, permanent caravan park or similar, a copy of an invoice or similar document showing that the applicant is individually billed and pays for measured energy usage must be included with the application form.

RevenueWA has the right to decline an application (or require repayment of any subsidy already paid) in situations where the Commissioner is of the reasonable opinion that false or misleading information has been provided, or where the eligibility criteria have not been met. Applicants may seek review of such a decision.

When you have completed your application form, send it to us online for faster processing.

Renewing your application

Show more

A renewal letter will be mailed to the applicant each year on the anniversary date of the application. Application for the subsidy must be renewed annually and any changes to the patient’s circumstances or application details must be provided. It is important to notify us of changes to the applicant’s postal, email and/or residential address to ensure that the renewal letter is received.

Every three years the patient’s specified life support equipment will need to be recertified by the authorised medical specialist to confirm ongoing eligibility for the subsidy.

When you have completed your renewal form, send it to us online for faster processing.

Energy supply outages

Show more

Keeping you safely connected to the electricity supply at all times is vital. If you have not already done so, it is essential that you contact your electricity retailer to register as a Life Support customer as soon as possible. Details can be found on your electricity retailer’s website or by phoning them directly.

Concession cards

Show more

Information regarding Pensioner Concession Cards and Health Care Cards is available from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs or your local Centrelink office.

Page reviewed 1 July 2021