Apply for the Australian Government HomeBuilder grant

The HomeBuilder grant provides eligible owner-occupiers with a grant to build a new home, substantially renovate an existing home or purchase a new home off-the-plan.

We will send you an email once your application is received, and we will email you again when your application is processed.
Applications will be processed in order of lodgment. We are currently processing applications submitted before 2 December 2020. If you lodged your application after this date, it will be processed in coming weeks.

The Australian Government HomeBuilder grant is available to eligible owner-occupiers who enter into a contract to:

  • build a new home or
  • substantially renovate an existing home or
  • purchase a new home off-the-plan.

The amount of the grant is:

  • $25,000 for a contract signed between 4 June and 31 December 2020 (inclusive)
  • $15,000 for a contract signed between 1 January and 31 March 2021 (inclusive).

The builder or developer must have a valid licence or registration:

  • before 4 June 2020 for a contract signed before 29 November 2020 or
  • before 29 November 2020 for a contract signed on or after 29 November 2020.

Applications for the grant must be lodged by 14 April 2021. See below for more information about how and when to apply.

The HomeBuilder grant is administered by RevenueWA, with funding provided by the Australian Government.

Full details about the grant, including a fact sheet containing examples, and responses to frequently asked questions, is available at

Details about the extension to the HomeBuilder grant announced on 29 November are in the Australian Government media statement.

This grant is different to the Western Australian Building Bonus grant.

  • If you receive the HomeBuilder grant, you may still be eligible to receive the Building Bonus grant. Use the same online application form to apply for both grants. You will need to register for an online account before applying.
  • You may also be eligible to receive the first home owner grant.

Answer some questions to see if you are eligible for a grant.

Construction commencement

Show more

Construction must commence within six months of the contract being signed.

  • For new builds, construction commences when significant earthworks, excavations or physical building works commence.
    Preparatory works such as site clearing, fencing, markings, delivery of building products will not be considered to be commencement of construction.
  • You must provide evidence that construction has commenced.  This may include a declaration from your builder that construction has commenced.

The contract cannot be a replacement transaction. The Commissioner may reject a grant application if it is found that the building contract is a replacement contract (of another building contract dated prior to 4 June 2020) entered into for the purposes of obtaining the grant.

Land ownership

Show more

You must be the registered owner of the vacant land on which the home will be built.

  • If you are buying vacant land with a building contract and the certificate of title for the land has not been issued at the date the building contract is signed, it must be issued in your name by the date that the foundations are laid.
  • If you are buying a new home off-the-plan, you must be registered on the certificate of title as the owner of the property by 31 October 2022.
  • If you are in the process of subdividing your own land, you can apply for the grant after foundations are laid on the proposed vacant lot if you provide evidence to show that the new land survey plan and certificates of title will be issued in your name. For example, evidence the Western Australian Planning Commission has granted conditional approval of the proposed plan and lots.

The grant will be paid to all registered owners unless written authorisation to pay another person is provided by all owners.

Cost plus contracts

Show more

If you enter into a cost plus contract where payment to the builder is based on the actual cost of the works plus a fee, you will need to show that the scope of works under the contract covers the building of the home from inception to completion.

We will not be able to determine whether you have met the Australian Government’s property value cap until the home is completed and the value of the completed home is known. You will need to provide evidence once the home is completed that the value cap has been met before we will pay the grant.

You can still submit your application using our online application once you have entered into the contract and no later than 14 April 2021, and upload the supporting documentation when it is available.

How and when to apply

Show more

Apply using our online application form by 14 April 2021.

Access the form through the Online Services Portal.

  • After registering, you will receive an email with your login details.
  • Log in, then select the First Home Owner and Building Grants service.
  • Once you have logged in, you can apply for a building grant, or add supporting documents after you have lodged your application and received an email confirming that we have received it.
  • We will send you an email when your application is processed. Applications will be processed in order of lodgment. We are currently processing applications submitted before 2 December 2020. If you lodged your application after this date, it will be processed in coming weeks.

A full list of supporting documents you must attach to your application is provided in the form.


Page reviewed 26 February 2021