Complaints against Registered Training Organisations

The Training Accreditation Council (TAC) is able to progress complaints received about TAC registered training organisations (RTOs) and where the complaint relates to an RTOs compliance with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015.
Last updated:

If you are experiencing issues with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), in most cases, the best way to resolve the issue is through the RTO's complaints and appeals process. RTOs are required to have a process in place that ensures complaints are dealt with effectively and efficiently.

In the majority of cases, you will be able to resolve the issue with the RTO. However, if you have been unable to resolve the complaint with the RTO directly, you may be able to submit a complaint to TAC.

If a complaint is lodged with TAC you will be:

  • requested to provide evidence of your attempts to resolve the complaint with the RTO via the RTO's complaint process; and
  • if the complaint has not been lodged directly with the RTO in the first instance, you will be referred back to the RTO to lodge your complaint.

What can TAC receive complaints about?

TAC is only able to progress complaints received about TAC registered training organisations and where the complaint relates to an RTOs compliance with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015. Issues that may be investigated by TAC include but are not limited to:

  • quality of training and assessment
  • assessment processes, including recognition of prior learning (RPL)
  • inaccurate or misleading advertisements
  • you are not receiving the services detailed in your learner agreement.

TAC is also able to receive complaints relating to organisations in Western Australia who are claiming to be an RTO and/or to provide nationally recognised training when they are not registered to do so.

Before lodging a complaint

Before you lodge a complaint, you will need to check whether the RTO is registered with TAC. To do this:

  1. launch the National Register for VET
  2. enter the RTO name in the 'Quick Search' box on the right of the screen, under 'Organisation / RTO' then click on the search icon.
  3. if more than one RTO name is returned, select and click on the correct RTO name.
  4. select the 'Registration' tab and under 'Registration Manager' identify the regulator. 

If your search reveals the RTO is registered with the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) or the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA), you will need to lodge a complaint directly with them. TAC is unable to investigate a complaint about an RTO registered with another VET regulator.

How to lodge a complaint to TAC

  1. Ensure you have provided the RTO with an opportunity to address the issues identified in your complaint.
  2. Confirm the RTO is registered with TAC.
  3. Read the TAC Complaints About RTOs policy.
  4. Complete the complaint form below.

FORM: Complaint about a TAC RTO