Use the Duties Online Services Portal

Upload scanned copies of documents for duty assessment, or apply for a refund or payment arrangement.
Last updated:

Use the Online Services Portal if you are

  • a member of the public
  • an agent who doesn't often lodge duties transactions or
  • lodging complex duties transactions and determinations such as landholder acquisitions and connected entity exemption requests.

If you're an eligible agent, use Online Duties instead.

Through the portal you can

  • electronically lodge transactions for assessment of duty, including general transfer duty matters and complex dealings
  • be notified by email about the issue of assessments and requisition notices which can be accessed from your Online Services account
  • respond to requisition notices
  • print a certificate of duty endorsement
  • request a reassessment and refund (where applicable) including for cancelled transactions, first home owner rate and residential rate concessions

To use the portal, you must agree to the terms of use.

When you first log in to your account, you can indicate whether you are lodging on behalf of yourself or a business (lodging party). The user guide contains information about this. Contact us to change your registration type at a later date.

Lodging transactions

Upload the transaction record (for example, a contract for sale), together with the relevant duties information requirements and forms. If you haven't lodged everything you need to, we'll issue you with a requisition notice.

Only lodge one transaction at a time unless the transactions are related to each other (if they need to be considered for aggregation). Contact us if you need to add another transaction to the existing lodgment. 

  • If your file is larger than 10MB, scan and split large files into smaller sizes for uploading, labelling them in sequential order.
  • If you make a mistake, submit a web enquiry with details of the error and we will correct it for you.
  • Provide further information or additional supporting documents at any time by submitting a web enquiry.

If the transaction you have lodged is no longer proceeding and qualifies for an exemption, select ‘Request a reassessment’ in the ‘Administrative requests’ panel and upload the relevant cancellation form. You'll be notified once the transaction has been cancelled.

If the transaction has already been lodged under another bundle ID, you can request to have the duplicate lodgment withdrawn. Select ‘Withdraw duplicate assessment’ in the ‘Administrative requests’ panel and upload the relevant cancellation form.

If you lodged a transaction on behalf of a client but no longer represent the client, notify us by selecting ‘Change of agent’ in the ‘Administrative requests’ panel within your account.

If an employee lodged a transaction on behalf of your business, but they no longer work there, contact us and provide your client ID and proof of identity to remove the account.

Make a vehicle licence duty reassessment request or notify us that a change in use of vehicle has occurred by selecting ‘Vehicle licence duty’ in the ‘Administrative requests’ panel.

Assessments, correspondence and payment

We'll email you following certain events relating to your lodgment, such as when an assessment or requisition notice is issued. When you receive the email, log into your account to view the notice (in .pdf format).

You can only make payment after you've been issued a duties assessment notice.

Requisition notices are displayed under the notifications menu in your account. Select the relevant notification and click ‘view’. Click ‘respond’ to upload your response and supporting documentation.

After a document has been downloaded, it will only be accessible from your Event Log.

If you believe there is an error with the duties assessment, contact the assessor detailing the reasons why you're requesting a review of the assessment.  See information about lodging an objection.

Certificate of duty

A certificate of duty is an endorsement that a dutiable transaction has been assessed and paid. Once you print your certificate of duty, attach it to the relevant transaction record which has been assessed and paid.

If a transaction involves land and the purchaser/transferee is an individual or company, you must provide a date of birth or ACN before the certificate of duty can be printed. If you haven't already provided these, you will be prompted to enter them when you are notified that your certificate of duty is available to download.

A transaction to purchase property will often consist of multiple documents that are required to complete the acquisition. If more than one instrument is separately liable to duty, such as if a transfer of land is in conformity with a contract for sale, no double duty is applied to the subsequent instruments. This means you're not paying duty more than once on the same transaction. If you've already lodged the contract for sale, select ‘Request for No Double Duty endorsement’ within the ‘Administrative requests’ panel. This will forward a request for us to review. When the request has been approved, the no double duty certificate will be available for printing if the assessment has been paid.

Reassessments and refunds

If you've already lodged the transaction, you can provide further information such as completed applications for exemptions or concessions by uploading the relevant form through a web enquiry.

If an assessment notice has already been issued, you can upload information and completed application forms in the portal by selecting ‘Request for Reassessment’ in the ‘Duties Administrative Requests’ panel.

A refund of duty is generally available if certain exemptions or concessions apply after you have paid duty. This can occur, for example, if you become eligible for the first home owner rate of duty or the residential rate of duty. Apply for a reassessment and refund by selecting ‘Request for Reassessment’ in the ‘Duties Administrative Requests’ panel in the portal. We'll advise you if you need to provide the original endorsed transaction record for reassessment.

Watch a video overview

See more videos on our YouTube channel.