There are several steps to getting your first driver’s licence and the process can vary depending on your age and driving experience. You can apply for a car or motorbike learner’s permit from age 16 and a moped learner’s permit from age 15½.
- Study the Drive Safe and Ride Safe handbooks and prepare yourself for the computerised theory test.
- Download and complete the driver’s licence application form.
- Visit a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent with your application form and identification to take the theory test.
- You will need to pay the computerised test fee, new driver application fee and Learner Guide and Log Book fee.
- Download the Learn&Log app.
Once you have your learner’s permit you must always be accompanied by a supervising driver and follow the rules for novice drivers.
If you hold an interstate, New Zealand or Indian Ocean Territories C class learner’s permit and are applying for a WA learner’s permit, you can request to have your previous experience recognised by filling in an additional form. You can only do this before a WA learner’s permit is issued, not afterwards.