In December 2017, the Western Australian government joined the Australia-wide National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and the State now funds disability-related supports through the NDIS. Under the terms of the Bilateral Agreement between the Commonwealth and Western Australia on the Transition to a NDIS, the State is responsible for providing continuity of support for people under 65 years of age who do not meet the NDIS residency requirements and who were receiving State-funded disability-related supports.
People who do not meet the NDIS residency requirements and are seeking access to State-funded disability-related supports may be eligible for Department of Communities Continuity of Support Arrangements (CoSA).
People are required to complete an NDIS Access Request and provide evidence they do not meet the NDIS residency requirements before eligibility for CoSA can be considered.
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) implements the NDIS and can be contacted on 1800 800 110.
If you are eligible for CoSA a Local Coordinator will contact you to provide information about Local Coordination and the planning process.
As part of their role Local Coordinators:
- build and maintain effective working relationships with individuals, families, carers and the community in their local area
- assist individuals, families, carers to access information through a variety of means and provide accurate and timely information where appropriate
- engage with individuals, families and carers to identify their goals, strengths and needs
- support individuals, families and carers to gain the skills, confidence and expertise required to plan for the future
- facilitate and support the development, maintenance and review of plans
- support individuals, families and carers to utilise personal and local community networks to develop practical solutions to meet their goals and needs
- assist individuals, families and carers to access the supports and services they need to pursue their identified goals and needs, including access to funding as appropriate.
Local Coordinators adhere to a number of principles and guidelines in all their work.