Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation - Freedom of Information (FOI)

Apply for the right to access documents held by the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation.
Last updated:

The Western Australian Freedom of Information Act 1992 gives the public the right to apply for access to documents held by WA Government Agencies, including the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation. We are required to assist your application at the lowest reasonable cost, and to ensure that any personal information about you within our records is accurate, complete, current, and not misleading.

Documents that you may apply for are stored in diverse formats, including paper and electronically stored information. You do not need to give a reason when making your application, and any reasons that you may provide will not affect your right to access.

How to make an FOI application - Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation

Everything you need to know to get your application started.

For FOI applications relating to the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation, you can apply with our online application form.

All enquiries should be addressed to the Manager Freedom of Information, Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation. Postal and physical addresses can be found in the contact section.

Applications must:

  • be in writing
  • give enough information for the documents to be identified
  • give an Australian address for the documents to be delivered to
  • be lodged at the agency with any fee payable.

If you are acting on behalf of another party, you must provide legal proof of authority. If you are applying for personal information about yourself, you must provide valid identification.

Applications will be acknowledged in writing.


All fees are set by the Freedom of Information Regulations 1993. Apart from the application fee, all fees are discretionary and can be waived.

  • Personal information about applicant - no fee
  • Application fee for non-personal information - $30
  • Charge for time dealing with application (per hour) - $30
  • Access time supervised by staff (per hour) - $30
  • Photocopying staff time (per hour) - $30
  • Per photocopy - $0.20
  • Transcribing from tape, film or computer (per hour) - $30
  • Duplicating a tape, film or computer information - actual cost
  • Delivery, packaging and postage - actual cost

An advanced deposit of 25% of the estimated charges may be required.

Financially disadvantaged applicants or pensioner concession cardholders will have their fee reduced by 25%.

Notice of decision

A notice of decision will be provided as soon as possible, within 45 working days from the application. It will include:

  • the date that the decision was made
  • the name and title of the officer who made the decision
  • if the document is exempt, and why it was classified as exempt
  • information on your rights to seek a review of the decision.

What types of documents are exempt?

Information that is considered sensitive and would cause harm if disclosed will be exempt from release. Exemptions are made to balance the rights of applicants to access information and the rights of government and third parties to protect their legitimate interests.

Exemptions are made when the information would:

  • reveal personal information
  • damage business interests, government relations or law enforcement
  • adversely affect the day-to-day operations of government agencies.

Rights of review

If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you have the right to ask for an internal review by the agency.

  • The application must be made within 30 days from receiving the notice of decision.
  • The review will be made by an independent officer, not the decision-maker.
  • You will be notified of the review outcome within 15 days.

If you disagree with the review decision, you can apply for an external review with the Information Commissioner. This application must be made within 60 days from receiving the review decision.

Document availability

When completing your application, this section will help you identify whether or not the information that you are applying for is publically available.

Public access to documents

All of our publications are available through this website. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Annual Reports.
  • Disability Access and Inclusion Plan.
  • Land tax, payroll and duties forms and publications.
  • Grants and subsidies forms and brochures.
  • Revenue rulings.
  • Commissioner's practices on tax.
  • Building Management and Works publications.
  • Strategic Projects publications.
  • Building Policies.
  • Procurement Guides.
  • Buyer, Gateway and supplier publications.
  • Reports, professional papers and presentations.

Departmental policy and procedure documents can be accessed by contacting the Manager FOI. Publications can be made available in alternate formats for the vision impaired.

Documents not publically available

  • Administration files.
  • Internal reports.
  • Personnel files.
  • Departmental official correspondence.
  • Electronic correspondence (emails).
  • Financial documents.
  • Contract files.
  • Tender applications.
  • Planning documents.
  • Building plans.
  • Project implementation and management files.
  • Land, Off Road Diesel, Debis, FID and Payroll Tax policies (archived records).
  • Grants and subsidy files.
  • Compliance reports and files.
  • Procurement files.
  • Research, analysis and advice on energy matters.
  • Evaluation and monitoring files.
  • Regulatory Gatekeeping assessments and reporting.

Access to these documents can be applied for under the Freedom of Information Act 1992.

Shared Services data

You may submit applications for:

  • information about Shared Services' business activities and functions
  • records that were unable to be returned to their client agencies.

All other applications will be sent to the originating agency, who have the full set of original records.

Amending personal information

You have the right to apply for your personal information in our records to be changed if it is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading.

Applications for amending your personal information can be lodged with the Manager FOI.