Learner drivers

If you're learning to drive or have just gotten your licence, here's information to stay safe on WA roads.
Last updated:

Reducing your crash risk

Getting your licence

The Department of Transport has a comprehensive checklist of the steps needed to get a driver’s licence in Western Australia.

You can also find out about getting your moped licence and the Motorcycle Graduated Licensing System.


  • Learner drivers must complete a minimum of 50 supervised driving hours prior to being granted a WA driver's licence, including five hours at night, prior to sitting the Practical Driving Assessment.
  • Applicants aged 25 years and older are exempt from the requirement to complete a log book.
  • The appropriate L or P plate must always be displayed. Plates can be purchased or printed at home.
  • All L and P plate drivers must drive with a zero-blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at all times.


  • Provisional licence holders are not permitted to drive between 12am and 5am, however employment and education exceptions may apply.
  • You are classified as a Novice Driver Type 1 if you’ve held a driver's licence for a period of at least one year or periods adding up to one year and includes a first-time learner's permit holder. These drivers can have 3 demerit points against their licence.
  • A Novice Driver Type 2 is a person who has held a driver's licence for more than 1 year but less than two 2 years. This driver can have 7 demerit points against their licence.

Your first car

You have passed your driver's test; you've got your licence and now it’s time to purchase your first car. There are a few things you need to consider before you get behind the wheel.

  • If you’re buying a new car, check its safety rating on the ANCAP website. Cars with a five star rating provide much better protection in the event of a crash, compared to those with a lower star rating.
  • For some novice drivers, a second-hand car is a more viable way of getting on the road. The Used Car Safety Ratings Buyer's Guide lists ‘Safe Picks’ that are not only safe for you, but safe for other road users as well.

For more information, visit our page for new vehicle buyers.

Zero blood alcohol content (BAC) offences

OffenceInfringementCourt penaltyDemerits
BAC > 0 but < 0.02$400$200-$7503 Demerits
0.02 to < 0.05-$200-$7503 months disqualification (min)*

*If a novice driver is disqualified, the licence is cancelled.

Learner driver FAQs

How many passengers can be in the car with a learner driver?

A learner driver must have a supervising driver sitting next to them, however there are no additional restrictions on passengers other than those rules that apply to all ‘Car-unrestricted’ C class licences.

A ‘Car-unrestricted’ (C) licence allows you to drive any motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle or motor carrier, equipped to seat not more than 12 adults (including the driver).

Additionally, only passengers that are sitting in a seat that is fitted with a seat belt or child restraint suitably fastened may be carried.

Are there limits on hours driven per day?

No. There are no limits on hours driven per day.

Can L-platers drive on the freeway?

Learner drivers are allowed to drive on the freeway and are encouraged to complete their supervised driving experience in a range of traffic and weather conditions.

What is the maximum speed limit for a learner driver?

The highest speed allowable for learner drivers is 100 km/h.

What is the blood alcohol content (BAC) limit for learner drivers?

Learner drivers must not drive if they have a blood alcohol content greater than 0.00 per cent.

What other restrictions are placed on learner drivers?

Learner drivers are not allowed to drive within the boundaries of Kings Park or wherever signs prohibit learner drivers.

How many years does a "supervising driver" need to have held their licence?

A person instructing a learner driver must have held a current and valid driver's licence (for the class of vehicle in which you are teaching someone how to drive) for at least 4 years.

In the case of instructing a person to ride a moped, you must have held a current and valid driver's licence for at least 2 years.

You must ensure the vehicle you are instructing in has 'L' plates displayed at all times.

Be aware of the rules for novice drivers (includes 'L' and 'P' platers).

Can an L plater tow a trailer?

Yes. L drivers are not restricted from towing a trailer as long as the learner driver is driving within the conditions of their learning permit – and this includes having a supervising driver alongside them in the vehicle.