Apply for an energy concession

A person who holds an appropriate concession card may be eligible for a subsidy or rebate to assist with various costs.

The Energy Concession Extension Scheme provides annual payments to assist with electricity costs, local government rates charges, the emergency services levy, underground electricity charges and water service charges.

The scheme consists of

  • Energy Assistance Payment
  • Dependent Child Rebate
  • Air Conditioning Rebate


Show more

You may be eligible for a concession if

  • you receive electricity charges direct from a retailer other than Synergy or Horizon Power (e.g. from retailers such as Perth Energy or Alinta Sales) or
  • you live in a retirement village, apartment building, caravan park (as a long-stay resident) or another type of accommodation where the electricity costs are recouped from the tenants by the owner (for example, strata entity, retirement village management or caravan park management) who is billed directly by Synergy or Horizon Power on behalf of the residential complex.

If you are directly billed by Synergy or Horizon Power, please contact that retailer to discuss your eligibility.

Payment amounts

Show more

Energy assistance payment

Payment is made by electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly into the bank account nominated on the application form. This must be an Australian cheque or savings account.

The payment amount for 2019/20 is $305.

Dependent child rebate

Payment is calculated according to the number of dependent children listed on your eligible concession card.

The payment amount for 2019/20 is $320 for one child and $84 for each additional child.

Air conditioning rebate

The payment is to subsidise the cost of operating an air conditioner for eligible households located in areas of high heat discomfort. This is identified as locations north of the 26th Parallel of South Latitude and/or north of the 50-day Relative Strain Index line.

The total value of the rebate varies depending on the residential location of eligible households, and will be calculated at the time of application. The rebate amount is multiplied by the number of eligible months for that residential location.

The payment amount for 2019/20 is $59.75 per month.

How to apply

Show more

Use this checklist to ensure that you have all the required information ready before applying.

Apply using our online application form.

You must authorise us to confirm the status of your concession card with Centrelink, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the Department for Communities. You may also need to authorise us to confirm energy usage and supply at your residential address.

We can decline an application if we believe false or misleading information has been provided or the eligibility criteria hasn't been met.

Page reviewed 4 December 2019


61 8 9262 1373
1300 368 364 (WA country landline calls)