The strategy encompasses battery electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles.
The increased adoption of electric vehicles will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve our urban air quality. They will provide improvements in energy productivity, future transport costs, energy security and amenity. The State Government is preparing for the increased domestic and international adoption of electric vehicles to ensure that we take advantage of these economic, social and environmental benefits.
The global uptake of electric vehicles presents important industry and economic opportunities that are being facilitated by the State Government through its Future Battery Industry Strategy and Renewable Hydrogen Strategy.
Measures in the strategy, supported through an investment of $21 million, include the following initiatives:
- supporting the creation of an electric vehicle charging infrastructure network facilitating travel north from Perth to Kununurra, along the south-west coast to Esperance, and east to Kalgoorlie.
- achieving a minimum 25 per cent electric vehicle target for new light and small passenger, and small and medium SUV government fleet vehicles by 2025/26
- developing and updating standards, guidelines, and planning approvals.
- improving levels of stakeholder awareness and knowledge.
The Western Australian Electric Vehicles Working Group, chaired by the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation, will assist in coordinating the implementation of the State Electric Vehicle Strategy.
Membership of the Western Australian Electric Vehicles Working Group includes:
- Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (Chair)
- Department of Finance
- Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation
- Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
- Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage
- Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
- Department of Transport
- Department of Treasury
- Energy Policy WA
- Horizon Power
- Main Roads WA
- Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia
- Western Australian Local Government Association
- Western Power
If you would like the opportunity to be consulted about the roll-out of the electric vehicle charging infrastructure network, please register your contact details via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates regarding the implementation of the electric vehicle charging network will be provided on this webpage.