Apply for a refund of duty
Follow these steps to apply for a refund of duty.
- Complete the relevant application form - select the transaction type below.
For other transaction types, refer to the Duties Information Requirements for required application information.
- Provide supporting documents
- contract of sale of your property
- certificate of duty paid
- copy of your ID (such as your driver’s licence)
- copy of a bank statement for the account to receive the refund.
- Lodge online.
Your refund will be paid directly into your bank account.
You may be eligible for the residential rate of duty for a place of residence, rental home, mixed use property or land on which a residence is constructed.
If the general rate of duty was applied to your transaction and you want to have the transaction reassessed at the residential rate, use this form to apply for a reassessment within
- five years from the date of the agreement or the transfer if there is no agreement or
- 12 months from the date when construction of the residence began or you entered into the contract for construction of the residence
First home ownerShow more
You may be eligible for the first home owner duty concessional rate if you're a first home buyer.
If your transaction was assessed at the general rate or the residential rate and you want to have the transaction reassessed at the first home owner rate, use this form to apply for a reassessment within
- 12 months after settlement or
- three months after the date you received the grant
Cancelled transactionShow more
You may not need to pay transfer duty if your transaction has been cancelled.
If you've already been assessed for duty and your transaction is cancelled, use this form to apply for a reassessment within
- five years after original assessment was made or
- 12 months after the day on which the agreement was cancelled
See the cancelled transactions fact sheet.