Apply for a refund of duty

Request a reassessment or apply for a rebate.
Last updated:

Apply online for a refund of duty.

Alternatively, you can complete the relevant application form (select the transaction type below) and lodge your form online.

You will need to provide supporting documents:

  • the contract of sale of your property
  • the certificate of duty
  • a copy of your ID (such as your driver’s licence)
  • a copy of a bank statement for the account to receive the refund.

Your refund will be paid directly into the bank account of all purchasers/transferees or a nominated person.

First home owner

If you are a first home buyer and your transaction was assessed at the general rate or the residential rate, you can apply to have the transaction reassessed at the first home owner rate.

Apply online for a reassessment within:

  • 12 months after settlement or
  • three months after the date you received the grant.

See the first home owner rate of duty fact sheet.

Cancelled transaction

You may not need to pay transfer duty if your transaction has been cancelled.

If you've already been assessed for duty and your transaction is cancelled, use this form to apply for a reassessment within:

  • five years after original assessment was made or
  • 12 months after the day on which the agreement was cancelled.

See the cancelled transactions fact sheet.

Off-the-plan rebate

Apply for a concession or rebate if you entered into:

  • a pre-construction contract between 23 October 2019 and 30 June 2025 (inclusive) to purchase a new residential unit or apartment or
  • a contract signed

    • between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020 or
    • between 31 August 2023 and 30 June 2025

    to purchase a new unit or apartment already under construction.


If the general rate of duty was applied to your transaction and you want to have it reassessed at the residential rate, apply online for a reassessment within:

  • five years from the date of the agreement (or transfer if there is no agreement) or
  • 12 months from the date construction of the residence began or you entered into the contract for construction.

See the transfer of residential land fact sheet.

Contingent consideration

If your transaction was assessed for duty on an amount of contingent consideration and that amount was not paid, use this form to apply for a reassessment within five years of the execution date of the agreement.

See the contingent consideration fact sheet.

Other transactionsFor transaction types not listed on this page, see the Duties Information Requirements for required application information.