Launched in July 2019, the WA Renewable Hydrogen Strategy aims to harness WA's competitive advantages, including world-class renewable energy resources, vast land mass and proud history of exporting energy to international markets.
The WA Renewable Hydrogen Roadmap is the next step on WA's renewable hydrogen journey. Launched in November 2020, the roadmap identifies 26 initiatives the WA Government is driving and supporting to realise the WA Renewable Hydrogen Strategy's vision, mission and goals.
The strategy and roadmap will drive WA's position as a major producer and exporter of renewable hydrogen, and detail the WA Government’s commitment to support and facilitate industry efforts to develop a renewable hydrogen industry in WA.
WA will be a significant producer, exporter and user of renewable hydrogen.
WA will develop industry and markets to be a major exporter of renewable hydrogen to enable the export of renewable hydrogen. WA will develop domestic production capabilities and applications of renewable hydrogen, thereby improving local hydrogen industry expertise, contributing to global decarbonisation and decarbonising the WA economy. It will also contribute to improving air quality.
Strategic focus areasShow more
Export: The global market for renewable hydrogen is expected to grow significantly over the coming decades. WA is well placed to capture a significant share of this market due to its excellent renewable energy resources, skilled oil and gas workforce, proximity to Asia and export infrastructure.
Remote applications: Renewable hydrogen can reduce reliance on diesel for remotely located industries and communities.
Hydrogen blending in natural gas networks: Blending low concentrations of hydrogen into natural gas networks provides an opportunity to partially decarbonise WA's gas sector.
Transport: Fuel cell electric vehicles present an early opportunity for hydrogen utilisation for mobility and freight transport.
Goals to achieve by 2022Show more
- A project is approved to export renewable hydrogen from WA.
- Renewable hydrogen is being used in one remote location in WA.
- Renewable hydrogen is distributed in a WA gas network.
- A refuelling facility for hydrogen vehicles is available in WA.
Goals to achieve by 2030Show more
- Western Australia having market share in global hydrogen exports similar to its share in LNG.
- Renewable hydrogen is widely used in mining haulage vehicles.
- Demand stimulation measures which could include a broader renewable hydrogen target and certification scheme.
- Renewable hydrogen is a significant fuel source for transportation in regional Western Australia.