The board has joint responsibility with the Minister for Lands for administering Western Australian pastoral leases in accordance with Part 7 of this Act.
Under Section 95 of the Land Administration Act 1997 (the Act), the functions of the Pastoral Lands Board (PLB) are to:
- advise the Minister on policy relating to the pastoral industry and the administration of pastoral leases
- administer pastoral leases in accordance with Part 7 of the Act
- ensure pastoral leases are managed on an ecologically sustainable basis
- develop policies to prevent the degradation of rangelands
- develop policies to rehabilitate degraded or eroded rangelands and to restore their pastoral potential
- consider applications for the subdivision of pastoral land and make recommendations to the Minister in relation to them
- establish and evaluate a system of pastoral land monitoring sites
- monitor the numbers and the effect of stock and feral animals on pastoral land
- conduct or commission research into any matters that it considers are relevant to the pastoral industry
- provide any other assistance or advice that the Minister may require in relation to the administration of Part 7 of the Act
- exercise or perform such other functions as may be given under the Act or any other Act.
- Pastoral Lands Board streamlines pastoral agistment process
- McGowan Government moves ahead with Pastoral Lands Reform
Contact the Pastoral Lands Board by email:
2019 Pastoral Lease rent reviewShow more
The most recent pastoral lease rent review occurred in 2019, with the determined values taking effect from 1 July 2019. At the time, the Minister of Lands determined that the rent increases were to be phased- in over a three-year period, resulting in rent increases being capped at 20% in 2019-20 and 2020-21, with the balance to be applied in 2021-22.
Pastoralists have the right to object if they consider their rent to be excessive. Following the Valuer-General’s consultation with objectors and the pastoral industry, 103 objections will have an adjusted rate of return from 2.8% to 1.8% applied from 1 July 2019.
The Valuer-General has extended the objection process until 30 June 2021 to allow for those who have not objected to do so. Information on the pastoral lease rent review and how to lodge an objection can be found on the Landgate website.
Board membershipShow more
The PLB consists of a chairperson appointed by the Minister and seven members including:
- three members who hold or have held an interest in a pastoral lease or are or have been shareholders in a company with a beneficial interest in a pastoral lease (Pastoral Interest Members)
- one member with expertise in the field of flora, fauna or land conservation management (Conservation Interest Member)
- one Aboriginal member with experience in pastoral leases (Aboriginal Interest Member)
- the Chief Executive Officer of the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage, or his or her appointee from time to time
- the Chief Executive Officer of the department principally assisting in the administration of the Biosecurity and Agriculture Management Act 2007 (Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development), or his or her appointee from time to time
The PLB may invite organisations or individuals to present their views or expertise on specific matters to assist the PLB in its deliberations.
Visit the Boards Members Portal.
|Pastoral interest members (3)||
|Yougawalla Station, Kimberley Region|
|Conservation Interest Member||Kim Eckert OAM GAICD||CEO Kalgoorlie-Boulder Urban Landcare Group and an Ambassador for the WA Parks Foundation|
|Aboriginal Interest Member||Lawford Benning||Yawoorroong Miriuwung Gajerrong Yirrgeb Noong Dawang (MG) Corporation|
|Chief Executive Officer, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development||Ralph Addis (Eamonn McCabe Appointee)||
Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
|Chief Executive Officer, Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage||Jodi Cant (Matt Darcey Appointee)||Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage|
Meeting datesShow more
|February||Thursday, 25 February 2021||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|April||Thursday, 22 April 2021||Regional Meeting - Mount Magnet|
|June||Thursday, 17 June 2021||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|August||Thursday, 19 August 2021||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|October||Thursday, 21 October 2021||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|December||Thursday, 16 December 2021||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|February||Thursday, 10 February 2022||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|April||TBC||Regional Meeting - Kununurra|
|June||Thursday, 9 June 2022||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|August||Thursday, 11 August 2022||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|October||Thursday, 13 October 2022||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
|December||Thursday, 8 December 2022||Face to Face Meeting - Perth|
Policies, guidelines and communiquesShow more
Documents are available for view/download on the PLB Strategies, policies guidelines and communiques page.
For more information, read the full media statement on Pastoral Lands Board streamlines pastoral agistment process.