Apply for a permit to access or travel through Aboriginal land

Entry Permits are required for entry onto or through proclaimed Aboriginal Lands Trust reserves.

Important Information

Some Aboriginal communities may require you to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to gain entry to or through their community.

In response to the easing of travel restrictions in Western Australia related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the State Emergency Coordinator has issued the Remote Communities Directions (No 5) (Directions) on 3 March 2022 under section 67 and 72A of the Emergency Management Act 2005. The Directions will continue to have an effect on transit permits issued under section 28 of the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act 1972 (AAPA).

Read the directions (PDF 1.05MB)

The purpose of these Directions is to continue to limit the potential spread of COVID-19 into remote Aboriginal communities and place continues to place certain restrictions on access into and out of Remote Aboriginal Communities (as listed in the schedule of the Directions), with penalties applying for breaches. It is recommend you read the Directions in full to understand the extent and circumstances in which they apply.

Current AAPA permit holders must comply with the Directions at all times, regardless of the terms or dates of the AAPA permit that has been issued.

New permit applications that are made and would be in breach of the Directions will not be issued by the Department in the first instance with compliant permit applications being referred to the relevant community for consideration. Please note that while a new permit request may not be in breach of the Directions, the Aboriginal community group/Corporation and/or Department may still refuse the grant of the permit if to grant same would not be to the benefit of the Aboriginal inhabitants and pending updates as they are provided by other State and Commonwealth agencies.

For further information and updates related to COVID-19 please refer to the Department of Health's website.

Travel permits for Aboriginal reserves

Most people passing through or visiting communities on Aboriginal Lands Trust reserves proclaimed under Part III of the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act 1972 (the Act) must obtain an Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority (AAPA) Lands Permit (ALPS) to comply with the Act.

Please note, ALPS is not to be used for mining activity on Aboriginal Lands. The Mining Entry Permit process is outlined below for your information.

Please note that permits are currently not being granted to enter King George Falls and Berkeley river falls/gorge. Please do not include requests for entry into these destinations when applying for your transit entry permits.

Applying for a travel permit online

Before applying for a permit, please read the permit information and user guide documents.

Apply for a permit to access or travel through Aboriginal land

Plan your journey

Please check the interactive map if you are unsure whether your journey passes through these lands.

Please note that the map is unavailable during the following times (Western Australian time):

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 02:00AM – 03:30AM
  • Wednesday: 00:30AM – 03:30AM

Interactive map

Mining entry permits for Aboriginal reserves

If your mining activity (this includes exploratory/prospecting activity) requires a Mining Entry Permit and/or ‘Consent to Mine’ due to being situated on a protected Aboriginal reserve, you must make an application to the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs for permit access and/or ‘consent to mine’ advice.

The Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage requires the following for assessment to provide a recommendation to the Aboriginal Lands Trust (ALT)/Minister for Aboriginal Affairs regarding ‘mining entry’ and ‘consent to mine’:

  • Evidence of formal consultation from the relevant native title body.
  • Evidence of formal consultation from the relevant leaseholder (if required).
  • Complete the mining entry and consent to mine application form.

Online application form

ALT - mining entry permit / consent to mine application form (PDF 177 kb)

The form must be submitted online (above) or to the permit mailbox by the deadline set for the ALT meetings.

If you have any queries on the mining entry permit process, please contact the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage via telephone or email:

1300 651 077

+61 8 6551 8000


Mining on ALT pastoral leases

The ALT is the lessee of 6 Pastoral Leases, some of which have been sub-leased. Some communities are the occupants of a pastoral lease but do not have a sublease.

Under section 118 of the Mining Act 1978 and regulation 64 of the Mining Regulations 1981, the applicant of a tenement situated on a pastoral lease is required to notify the lessee within 14 days of making the application.

In this case, the ALT is the lessee and as such, upon receiving notification, advises the mining company to consult with the sublessee and/or occupants of the leasehold land.

The sublessee and/or occupants have an opportunity to object to the grant of the tenement should they wish through the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety Mineral Titles online.

ALPS frequently asked questions

What is the permit application process?

Show more
AAPA permit application process

Where are AAPA reserves?

Show more

Am I exempt from a permit?

Show more

You do not need an AAPA Permit if you are:

  • a person of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
  • a member of either House of Parliament of the State or Commonwealth Governments
  • a person lawfully exercising a function under the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act 1972 or otherwise acting in pursuance of a duty imposed by law
  • a person authorised in that behalf under the Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act Regulations 1972

For more information please read “permit information” in the user guide.

How long will it take to get a permit?

Show more

This depends on whether you are travelling to an area where it is necessary to consult with a consultative body. Please ensure that you submit your application well in advance of your trip, especially if you are travelling as a convoy, a 4WD club or a commercial tour operator.

What type of permit do I need?

Show more
Working out your permit type

Where do I get information on road conditions?

Show more

Visit the Main Roads website.

My travel dates have changed. What do I do?

Show more

If your dates have changed significantly, please contact the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage via telephone or email on 1300 651 077 or +61 8 6551 8000 or email

1-3 DAYS 3-7 DAYS More than 7 DAYS
Small change: Email or call us if you have the opportunity Medium Change: Email or call us if you have the opportunity Significant change: Contact us to discuss

Are AAPA permits free?

Show more

Yes. Transit permits are free of charge. However, some Aboriginal communities levy an entry/camping/activity fee for people wishing to visit or remain on the reserve for an extended period, such as when tourists stay over for fishing activities. These visitors’ passes/levies are not managed or administered by the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage. If you are entering a national park you will need to contact the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, Parks and Wildlife Service to see if you need a park pass. Visit the Canning Stock Route website if you are travelling on the Canning Stock Route.

I have made a mistake on my permit application. What do I do?

Show more

If you have any queries on the ALPS process, please contact the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage via telephone or email:

1300 651 077

+61 8 6551 8000


Page reviewed 14 April 2022