Prescribed premises are regulated by the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation under Part V Division 3 of the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (EP Act).
Under the EP Act, prescribed premises require various approvals for construction and operations involving specified industrial activities.
Refer to the following documents for further details:
- Guideline: Industry regulation guide to licensing
- Procedure: Prescribed premises works approvals and licences
- other industry regulation publications.
- Application form: Works approval, licence, registration, amendment or renewal
- Application form: Surrender works approval or licence
- Application form: Transfer works approval or licence
- Application form: Request for fee refund
Supporting forms – category checklists
Applications for certain categories of prescribed premises may require one or more additional supporting forms to be submitted with the new instrument or amendment application form. They provide clear (although not exhaustive) instruction on what information we require to assess an application involving the categories listed below.
Unless stated otherwise below or on the relevant category checklist, all works approval, licence or amendment applications that include at least one of the below categories must complete and submit the relevant checklist together with the main application form.
The current approved forms are provided below.
Solid waste landfillsShow more
This application checklist is optional for solid waste landfill sites associated with mining operations or category 89 rural landfill sites. It is mandatory for all other landfill prescribed premises that include one or more of categories 63, 64, 65 and/or 66.
This checklist outlines additional information requirements for works approval, licence, or amendment applications to:
- construct and operate new solid waste landfills, or
- amend an instrument granted for an existing landfill (i.e. constructing and operating new cells/landfill areas at an existing landfill facility).
View the Application form annex: Category checklist (solid waste landfills).
Tailings storage facilitiesShow more
This application checklist is mandatory for all category 5 prescribed premises that include one or more tailings storage facilities (TSFs).
This checklist outlines additional information requirements for works approval, licence or amendment applications to:
- construct and operate new TSFs, or
- amend an instrument granted for an existing TSF (i.e. new TSF cells or wall rises or lifts or changes to delivery processes or material characteristics).
View the Application form annex: Category checklist (tailings storage facilities).