Support for Victims of Crime

Services and support available to victims of crime.

As a victim of crime, making decisions can be difficult and confusing. During this time, it is vital that a victim is treated with courtesy, compassion and respect.

You can consider yourself a victim of crime if you suffer injury or loss as a direct result of an offence or you are a member of the immediate family where an offence results in the death of an individual.

A priority of the Department of Justice is to give victims of crime access to quality services and a stronger voice in the justice process. By allowing victims a more formal role in the criminal justice system, the Department can significantly contribute to restoring a victim’s sense of wellbeing.

The Department is responsible for a range of services which offer advocacy and support to victims of crime in Western Australia.

Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime

Show more

The Commissioner for Victims of Crime has particular responsibility to ensure that both members of the public and government agencies are aware of the Victims of Crime Act 1994 and of their corresponding rights and responsibilities under that Act.

The Commissioner:

  • Provides high level advice and expertise to the Director General and the Attorney General on issues surrounding victims of crime in Western Australia.
  • Monitors and reviews the effect of all elements of the justice system on victims of crime with a particular focus on Police and court practices and procedures.
  • Builds and sustains effective communication and working relationships with key stakeholders, victims of crime, government agencies and industry representatives.

The Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime can provide assistance with applications under the Historical Homosexual Expungement Scheme, Homicide Funeral Assistance Scheme and National Redress Scheme.

Contact the Office of the Commissioner for Victims of Crime or see the Victims of Crime website for further information.

Child Witness Service

Show more

The Child Witness Service is available at any court in Western Australia including the Magistrates Court, Children's Court, District Court or Supreme Court.

The Child Witness Service is a voluntary and free service available to children under 18 years of age who are to give evidence to a court.

Trained staff can assist with:

  • accessing services such as counselling, police, legal, medical and other relevant services
  • working with the WA Police and the Director of Public Prosecutions and providing the child with up to date information as a matter progresses through the court system
  • preparing a child for giving evidence in court and providing in court support
  • helping a child to prepare a victim impact statement.

The Child Witness Service is available Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm.


Child Witness Service
Level 2, District Court Building
500 Hay Street

Phone: (08) 9425 2850 or 1800 818 988
Find a court location


Criminal Injuries Compensation

Show more

Criminal Injuries Compensation is available from the Department of Justice’s Court and Tribunal Services division for eligible victims of crime who have sustained injury or loss as a result of an offence or alleged offence.

The maximum amount of criminal compensation payable to victims of crime for offences committed in Western Australia after 1 January 2004 is $75,000, or $150,000 for a number of offences committed by the same offender.

Interim payments are available for treatment, reports or funeral costs.

Compensation is available for injuries and certain defined losses as set out in the Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 2003. An application may be made for an incident reported to the police even if no one was identified, charged or convicted of the offence. An application can be lodged by:

  • the victim of an offence where he or she was injured, for compensation for the injury and for financial loss suffered as a result
  • a close relative of a person killed as the result of an offence, for funeral expenses and loss of support.


Chief Assessor
Criminal Injuries Compensation
GPO Box F317

Phone: (08) 9425 3250

Injury includes bodily harm, mental or nervous shock or pregnancy resulting from an offence. Compensation may cover:

  • pain and suffering
  • loss of enjoyment of life
  • loss of income
  • treatment expenses, and
  • other incidental expenses, such as travel for treatment or damage to personal items such as clothing and spectacles.

In the case of a death, a close relative can apply for funeral expenses he or she incurred and for loss to dependants of the financial support of the deceased.

The amount of compensation awarded will depend on the extent of injuries and the losses suffered. The maximum award depends on the date the offence occurred:

22 January 1971 - 17 October 1976


18 October 1976 - 31 December 1982


1 January 1983 - 31 December 1985


1 January 1986 - 30 June 1991


1 July 1991 - 31 December 2003


1 January 2004 - present


An application must be lodged within three years from the date of the offence or the last offence. The application should be made when the police inquiries and any prosecution are complete and when the victim has reached the maximum stage of recovery from injuries, except where interim payments are sought for treatment, reports or funeral costs.

If the claim is more than three years old, an application may still be made, but the applicant must apply in writing for an extension of time, giving reasons for the delay.

Services available

To apply for compensation telephone (08) 9425 3250, fax (08) 9425 3271 or write to the Chief Assessor of Criminal Injuries Compensation for an application form. This form is also available online in the downloads box below. You will also have to provide reports and other documents to support your application.

You can submit your own application or engage a solicitor to act on your behalf. If you engage a solicitor, the assessor cannot reimburse the legal costs incurred. Legal Aid Western Australia may also be able to assist with Criminal Injuries compensation applications. Legal Aid can be contacted on 1300 650 579 for further details. Community Legal Centres may be able to assist. There is no fee for lodging your application.

In the majority of cases, applications are dealt with by an assessor from the information provided by you. The assessor may obtain information from other agencies and may also require you to attend a hearing, which will be conducted in private and as informally as possible. A convicted offender will, in most cases, be given notice of the application and may be provided with edited copies of documents in support of your claim.

Your application is confidential, however, copies of decisions made by the assessors are published on the AustLii website. In special cases, the assessors can order that names of people awarded compensation are not made public. This is usually the case for awards involving sexual offences or juvenile offenders.

Action may be taken to recover money from a convicted offender, however the applicant will not be involved in these proceedings.

The Office of Criminal Injuries Compensation cannot give legal advice.


If you disagree with the assessor's decision, you can lodge an appeal in the District Court within 21 days from the date of the assessor's decision. The offender may also appeal.

The appellant must serve copies of the notice of appeal on:

  • the Chief Assessor, Criminal Injuries Compensation
  • the Director General, Department of the Justice
  • the applicant or the offender, if a person was convicted of the offence.

Application forms

Download application form.

Before completing the application form, refer the guidelines also available below. When the form has been completed, it must be signed by the applicant and sent to:

Chief Assessor
Criminal Injuries Compensation
GPO Box F317

Ensure all documentation required is completed and attached and that you keep copies of the documents submitted with the application. If you require information from WA Police, refer to the WA Police website.


Court Support

Show more

The Victim Support Service is committed to promoting the rights and addressing the needs of anyone who has suffered harm from crime. If you have been a victim of a crime and have to give evidence at court, or if you want to observe the court case, support is available.

This special assistance is provided by a dedicated group of volunteers who are trained by the Victim Support Service.

Volunteers from the Victim Support Service can:

  • meet with you before the court case to help you understand how the courts and legal system operate
  • show you around the court beforehand so you are familiar with where you have to go on the day of the court case
  • show you where the facilities for witnesses and victims of crime are at the court, such as special care rooms or victim support rooms
  • be with you in court or while you are waiting to give evidence and spend some time with you after court
  • give you information about other services available to victims of crime
  • refer you to the counsellors at the Victim Support Service
  • give you information about how to claim witness fees and information about criminal injuries compensation.

Family Violence Service

Show more

The Family Violence Service is available at the Magistrates Court of Western Australia at Armadale, Fremantle, Joondalup, Midland, Perth and Rockingham.

The Family Violence Service is a voluntary and free service available for family violence victims who may need assistance with court support, information and referral to other services. The court based support is available for family violence victims who are making an application for a Family Violence Restraining Order or are involved in a criminal matter listed in the Family Violence List in the Magistrates Court.

Trained staff can assist with:

  • accessing services such as counselling, police, legal, medical and other relevant services
  • information about ongoing court matters and preparing for court and in court support
  • assessment of risk and safety issues.

The Family Violence Service is available Monday to Friday between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm.


Family Violence Service
Phone: 1800 600 476


Non-English Speaking Information for Victims

Show more

Victim Support Service

Victim Impact Statement

Family Violence Service

Child Witness Service

National Domestic Violence Order Scheme (NDVOS)

Show more

The National Domestic Violence Order Scheme (NDVOS) aims to strengthen the protection of victims of family violence by eliminating barriers to the enforcement of restraining orders. A person protected by a nationally recognised order can move between States and Territories without losing the protection of the order. The NDVOS also makes it easier for police to prosecute breaches where the victim and perpetrator are located in different states (eg where the breach occurs over the internet).

Orders that are recognised under the NDVOS can be enforced by local police across Australia. A person who breaches a recognised order will be penalised under the law of the State or Territory in which the breach occurred. All of the restraints included in a recognised order operate nationally. Once an order is nationally recognised, it remains nationally enforceable until it expires or is cancelled by a court.

For further information about the NDVOS and how to apply for national recognition of orders, refer to the Magistrates Court, Children’s Court  or the national NDVOS.

Restitution and Reparation Orders

Show more

A reparation order is either a compensation order or a restitution order. It may take the form of:

  • a compensation order - where an offender makes a compensation payment to the victim of the crime
  • a restitution order - requiring that property is returned to the victim.

A reparation order is on top of, and not part of, the sentence imposed on an offender. It may be made by a court on its own initiative or following an application from a victim or the prosecutor.

A court cannot make a compensation order if it is believed that:

  • the offender could not comply with the order due to insufficient means
  • paying the compensation would unduly prejudice the welfare of the offender's dependants.

Even if a reparation order is made, a victim can still take civil action against the offender for loss, injury or damage suffered and apply for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Act.

Payment of compensation or restitution cannot be made a condition of a community-based order or an intensive supervision order.

If a victim does not receive compensation ordered by the court, they may take civil action.

Contact your nearest court for more details.

Victim Impact Statement

Show more

A Victim Impact Statement tells the judge or magistrate about how a crime has affected you and may be taken into account when the offender is sentenced.

It is your choice whether you make a Victim Impact Statement. Throughout the court process, you can inform the court or prosecutor that you want to make a statement.  You also may be asked by the police, court or prosecutor if you want to prepare a statement. The Victim Support and Child Witness Service can help you to do this.

For information and guidance about how to write and lodge a Victim Impact Statement, please refer to the below information.

When is a victim impact statement used?

It is used if the offender pleads guilty or is found guilty by the court. The prosecutor will present your written victim impact statement to the court before the judge or magistrate decides the sentence. Sentencing can occur immediately after the offender is found guilty, or the judge or magistrate may set another time for sentencing.

The Prisoners Review Board (the Board) is also interested in understanding the impact of the offence upon you if the offender in your case is sentenced to a period of imprisonment and may be considered for parole release at some future time. There are two ways you can provide your views to the Board.

  • Submit a copy of your VIS direct to the Board or seek the assistance of the prosecutor (Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions) or Victim Support Service in submitting it on your behalf. The prosecutor or Victim Support and Child Witness Service will need your written consent to submit the VIS on your behalf.
  • Contact the Board directly on 9423 8700 and provide your VIS to them prior to the parole hearing. You can register with the Victim Notification Register (VNR) to be notified of parole hearings relating to your offender. VNR can be contacted on + 6 18 9425 2870.

Can I make a verbal statement?

This will need to be discussed with the prosecutor. The prosecutor will consult with the judge or magistrate who will make a formal decision.

Who gets to see my VIS?

Three copies go to the court. One is for the judge or magistrate, one is for the prosecutor, and the offender’s lawyer also gets a copy. The offender usually gets to see your VIS. Sometimes the prosecutor may read some or all of your statement to the court. The judge or magistrate may also refer to your VIS when sentencing. This means other people in the court (which may include the media) can hear your statement.

How long should it be?

It should be concise but cover all important points.

What do I include in my statement?

You might like to include:

  • details of any physical injuries and the effect of these
  • injuries on your life
  • where the crime has resulted in death, you may wish to talk about the deceased person and the life they led
  • details of the emotional impact of the crime on you and your family
  • information about what your life was like before the crime if it has changed (including any career changes or loss of future prospects)
  • details of the financial impact of the crime (for example, lost wages, medical or counselling expenses, transportation costs and damage to property)
  • any request for compensation or restitution to be considered by the court
  • any other information you think is important.

Is there anything I should not include in my statement?

You should not include:

  • anything that is abusive or offensive
  • details of the crime, as this is contained in your police statement
  • how you would like the offender to be sentenced
  • anything that is factually inaccurate.

How do I set out the information?

There is no set style for writing a VIS. It is important, however, that you write it in your own way and sign and date it. You can download a word document to use as a guide for writing a VIS. The statement can then be emailed to the Victim Support and Child Witness Service for additional guidance. Email

How do I lodge my victim impact statement?

The Victim Support and Child Witness Service can forward your VIS to the court for you. If you would like to lodge it yourself, you will need to deliver your original VIS and two copies to the Children’s/Magistrates Court before the date the offender is due to be sentenced. If the offender is being sentenced in the District or Supreme Court, your VIS must be delivered to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Download the brochure below for the addresses of the agencies.

Can I get someone to help me write a victim impact statement?

Any person can assist you, but it is important the statement is in your own words. The Victim Support and Child Witness Service can also help you.

What do I do if I cannot write in English?

Contact the Victim Support and Child Witness Service. Staff can help you to write it in English or can arrange to have your statement translated from your language into English.


Victim Support Service

Show more

The Victim Support Service is available at the Magistrates Court of Western Australia, District Court of Western Australia and Supreme Court of Western Australia.

The Victim Support Service is a voluntary and free service available to victims of crime.

Under the Victims of Crime Act 1994, victims are defined as:

  • people who suffer injury or loss as a direct result of an offence
  • any member of the immediate family where an offence results in the death of an individual.

Trained staff can assist with:

  • counselling and support
  • accessing services such as counselling, legal, medical and other relevant services
  • information on the status of police investigations
  • information about ongoing court matters and preparing for court and in court support
  • help write a victim impact statement
  • help with enquiries about your rights in the criminal justice system, including criminal injuries compensation claims.


Victim Support Services
Level 2, District Court Building
500 Hay Street

Phone: +6 18 9425 2850 or 1800 818 988
Find a court location

Coping with Trauma

To help victims deal with the range of issues that can result from crime, the Victim Support and Child Witness Service has produced three information sheets available below.

The information sheets contain ideas and tips that will help victims and parents of victims deal with stress and trauma.

Always remember, victims and their loved ones react normally to an abnormal situation and further help is just a phone call away. The Victim Support Service has professional counsellors who are able to help victims cope with trauma. To arrange an appointment, contact your local Victim Support Service office.


Victim-offender mediation

Show more

The Corrective Services Division provides mediation between victims and offenders through the Victim-offender Mediation Unit. The unit can advise victims on the offender's movement, release or escape from custody through the Victim Notification Register.

Page reviewed 11 August 2020