Home schooling in Western Australia

Parents wanting to educate their children at home need to register under the School Education Act 1999.
Last updated:

If you wish to be fully responsible for delivering your children’s education program, you can register as a home educator under the School Education Act 1999.

This means you are in charge of educating your children during their compulsory education period (a period running from the beginning of the year in which your children turn five years and six months, until the end of the year in which they turn 17 years and six months or they turn 18 years old, whichever happens first).

Once registered, you need to plan the program, obtain materials, and deliver and monitor the program. You also need to demonstrate your children’s progress on a regular basis.

For more information including the guidelines and how to register visit our home education website.