What is it?
Environment Online will be a single online platform bringing together all aspects of water and environmental assessments, approvals and compliance.
This one-stop-shop will allow users to submit, monitor and review submissions and approvals related to native vegetation clearing, industry licences, water licences and permits, waste, and environmental impact assessments.
Consolidating these functions into one easy-to-use, digital location will shorten turnaround times and ensure quicker assessment processes for joint State and Australian Government projects, helping to create jobs and support the economy.
Who can use it?
Environment Online will be available to industry, developers, government officers, consultants, external partners and the Western Australian community.
When will it be live?
The Environment Online platform will be rolled out over the next three years.
Stage One is expected to be live in the first quarter of 2022. It will include the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) process from end-to-end, enabling a range of benefits for proponents and officers. It includes three key elements: a portal, case management function and central access to relevant data.
After the EIA process goes live, we will continue to build incrementally, delivering the Industry Regulation (Part V) and then Native Vegetation Regulation processes next. The program is due for final completion in 2024.
Environment Online will offer:
- a dashboard for users to submit and track the status of applications, comments and activities; send and receive correspondence; notify incidents; and pay and manage fees
- the ability to login anytime, anywhere on mobile devices
- a user profile storing all related information
- modern case management in one platform
- transparent data and knowledge sharing for all users
- consolidation of current Geographic Information System (GIS) data
- ‘chatbots’ for responsive customer service.
Access and training
Users will access the platform via a separate URL or through the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation or EPA websites.
Environment Online is being developed as an intuitive, user-friendly platform.
Training and support will be available via self-serve guides, videos and online support. More information will be available as the roll out progresses.
Partnership with other agencies
Environment Online is one of several initiatives to enhance partnerships and working relationships between State Government agencies and the Australian Government. Other reforms include:
- Biodiversity Information Office (BIO): a cost-effective system to capture, store, curate, publish and analyse biodiversity data throughout WA.
- Streamline WA: a whole-of-government initiative to improve regulation and regulatory practice.
- Digital Strategy for the Western Australian Government 2021-2025.
- Digitally Transforming Environmental Assessment.
News and events
The Environment Online team held an event on 15 December 2021 to showcase progress of the online platform. Watch a recording of the showcase.
If you would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.