Lodge documents using eConveyancing

Electronic conveyancing is the standard settlement process in Western Australia to lodge eligible land registry documents using an Electronic Lodgment Network Operator (ELNO).
Last updated:

Currently, Property Exchange Australia is approved to operate in Western Australia as an Electronic Lodgment Network operator (ELNO).

Registered Online Duties clients can use an ELNO to:

  • settle certain transactions that have been self-assessed in Online Duties and
  • have the assessed transfer duty paid into their linked trust account at settlement.

Link your ELNO Subscriber ID to your Online Duties account in order to provide a valid Certificate ID to the ELNO environment before settlement can proceed. To link your ELNO account, a person with access in Online Duties as an Authorised Person or Administrator must:

  • click the 'Maintain ELNO ID' button from the Administration page
  • in the 'Link a ELNO ID' section, click the 'ADD' button to enter your Subscriber ID then press 'Save'.

A verification service confirms the transaction data entered in the ELNO system (party details, land information, contract date and consideration) is the same as that entered into Online Duties. If the data cannot be verified and matched, you will need to review the data entered.

We recommend you carry out early verification with enough time to change to paper settlement if needed.

Following successful verification:

  • the Online Duties facility will automatically notify the ELNO system of the duty payable (if any)
  • the ELNO system will provide you with the option to have the duty paid into your trust account as part of the financial settlement process
  • duty will be payable under the Online Duties monthly return and
  • a No Double Duty Certificate will be automatically created and the number provided to the ELNO system to enable settlement to occur. The Certificate will be retained in Online Duties for record keeping and can be reprinted at any time.

Transactions that can be settled using an ELNO

Transactions can only be settled using an ELNO if there is an agreement (e.g. a contract for sale / offer and acceptance) in place.

The following transactions can be settled using an ELNO:

  • The purchaser on the agreement is an individual, corporation or trustee of a trust or superannuation fund.
    For example, Super Fund Pty Ltd executes a contract for sale to purchase a property as trustee of the ABC Superannuation Fund. A transfer of land is then executed to transfer the property into Super Fund Pty Ltd’s name.
  • The interested party is acting in their capacity as administrator, executor or custodian, or a bankrupt proprietor is represented by a bankrupt trustee.
  • The purchaser on the agreement substitutes their interest in the property to a related transferee on the transfer.
    For example, Mary executes a contract for sale to purchase a property. Mary decides to substitute 100% of her interest in the property to her son.
  • The transaction is between related parties.
    For example, Louise executes a contract for sale to purchase a property from her father.
  • The transaction has an off-the-plan concession applied.
  • A transaction in which an interested party is under administration or is an Indigenous corporation without an ACN.

Transactions that can't be settled using an ELNO

Any transactions which is:

  • a transfer of land without an agreement or contract in place.
    For example, a transaction between related parties where they decide not to draw up a contract.
  • an acquisition of new dutiable property on its creation, grant or issue (e.g. easements).
    For example, Greg agrees to grant an easement over his land to a utility services provider.
  • the surrender of special dutiable property (e.g. easements).
    For example, the utility services provider no longer requires an easement over Greg's property and surrenders the easement.
  • an agreement to transfer business assets. Transfers of business assets are not registered with Landgate so are not eligible for electronic settlement.
  • a related party transfer of land from an individual to their superannuation fund (where it is eligible for nominal duty).
    For example, Sue executes a contract for sale to transfer an investment property she owns to her superannuation fund. The transaction was self-assessed for nominal duty of $20.
  • the transfer of land from a discretionary trust to a beneficiary of the trust (where it is eligible for nominal duty).
    For example, Bob, as trustee of the Smith Family Trust, decides to vest part of the trust property to Mary who was a beneficiary at the time the property was acquired. The transaction was assessed for nominal duty of $20.

Any transaction in which an interested party:

  • has a name suffix
  • is a foreign company without an ACN
  • is acting in their capacity as mortgagee in possession.

Any transaction:

  • in which the transferee is an Association
  • which includes a buyer who is a foreign person
  • that is assessed by RevenueWA (e.g. not self-assessed)
  • involving land in the Christmas Island or Cocos Islands jurisdictions
  • in which a bankrupt proprietor is represented by two or more bankrupt trustees
  • involving a company under external administration (for example, in liquidation, or a receiver or controller has been appointed).

Any agreement to transfer land, where there is additional duty payable on the transfer (e.g. subsale transactions).

Frequently asked questions

Can I settle all self-assessed transactions using an ELNO?

No.  You can only use an ELNO to settle transactions involving an agreement (such as a contract for sale or offer and acceptance). We recommend you check this page to see which transaction type can be settled using an ELNO.

What should I do if verification is unsuccessful?

Check that the transaction details in both Online Duties and the ELNO system are correct and matching. The verification response in the ELNO system should indicate what information is not matching. If you can't identify the mismatch, please contact your ELNO who will request we identify the cause of the mismatch.