Department of Water and Environmental Regulation - Freedom of Information

Apply for the right to access documents held by the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation
Last updated:

The Freedom of Information Act 1992 (FOI Act) gives a person the right to apply for access to documents of a government agency (other than an exempt agency). 

If you wish to make an application under the FOI Act, it must:

  • be in writing
  • give enough detail to identify the requested documents; or if the application is for amendment of personal information, details must be provided to show how or why the agency's records are inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading
  • provide a postal address in Australia, and where possible, an email and contact number
  • be lodged with the agency, together with the application fee.

Fees and charges

  • No fees or charges apply for requests for personal information or amendment of personal information about the applicant (i.e. details of employment, etc.).
  • Applications for documents held by the department which contain non-personal information, require a $30 application fee to validate the application. Payment can be made online by credit card.

Applications will be acknowledged in writing, and the applicant will be notified of a decision within 45 days or by the permitted period [refer to section 13(3) of the FOI Act].

It is the aim of the agency to make information available as soon as possible and at the least possible cost. Whenever possible, documents will be provided outside the FOI process. The agency is, however, mindful of its obligations including but not limited to, the workings of Government, confidentiality, and the rights of third parties in relation to personal and business/commercial information.

Download an access application form (PDF and Word versions available).

If your application is for access or amendment to your personal information, please provide a certified copy of one of the following documents:

  • Driver’s licence
  • Aged Pensioner Concession Card
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate (and Marriage Certificate if name has changed) or
  • Proof of Age Card (issued by the Department of Transport).

Documents must be certified by a person authorised to witness Statutory Declarations under Schedule 2 to the Oaths, Affidavits and Statutory Declarations Act 2005.

Applications and enquiries

Applications and enquiries should be addressed to:

In person

FOI Services
Department of Water and Environmental Regulation
Prime House
8 Davidson Terrace
Joondalup WA 6027

By mail

FOI Services
Department of Water and Environmental Regulation
Locked Bag 10
Joondalup DC WA 6919

By email

FOI Services

Once payment is made online, include the receipt number on the application form before it is emailed to

Please contact FOI Services at or call 6364 7263 if you require assistance completing your application.

Contaminated Sites

Reports are available under the Contaminated Sites Act 2003 and, therefore, NOT available through the FOI process.

The Contaminated Sites Database holds details on sites classified:

  • contaminated – remediation required
  • contaminated – restricted use
  • remediated for restricted use

Information on all other reported sites including those awaiting classification, is recorded on the Contaminated Sites Register and can be requested upon completion of Form 2, with a search fee of $44.