Transfer a vessel

How to transfer a boat or personal watercraft in WA.
Last updated:

When you buy, sell, inherit or give away a registered vessel in WA, you must notify the Department of Transport (DoT) to make sure the vessel registration is transferred to the new owner.

You will need to transfer a vessel by:

  • Submitting a completed transfer form to DoT in person at a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) centre, DoT regional centre or authorised agent
  • Posting a completed transfer form and required documents to DoT, or
  • Using DoTDirect.

You cannot transfer a boat using DoTDirect if the boat is:

  • owned by a company
  • jointly owned
  • part of a court order
  • part of a deceased estate
  • without a hull identification number.